An Automation Engineer utilizes technology to improve, streamline and automate a manufacturing process. They are responsible for planning, implementation, and monitoring of such technology. An Automation Engineer uses technology to oversee or manage the manufacturing process. The aim of this technology is to streamline the manufacturing process to make it as efficient as possible.
For any step in the manufacturing process, an Automation Engineer can be tasked with designing, simulating, installing, testing and managing an electrical or mechanical automation.
- Identification of new opportunities for automation within the manufacturing process
- Management of a project team when necessary
- Designing new automation equipment or processes
- Simulating and testing these processes or equipment to ensure they function as desired
- Development of documentation for the new equipment and processes
- Programming new automated components to the manufacturing process
- Developing and maintaining clear and accurate documentation of automation equipment or processes
- Provide training where necessary – typically after implementing new processes or equipment, or making changes to existing ones
- Troubleshooting automated processes or equipment when errors occur
Leadership competencies, technical skills requirement
- Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Engineering Degree or technical degree preferred.
- Minimum 5-10 years’ experience in plant technical role, preferably in the rolling industry
- Ability to work with a broad cross section of people from managers, hourly work force and internal/external customers
- Work that requires frequently standing for long periods of time and often in awkward positions.
- Knowledge and experience in troubleshooting advanced electrical equipment.
- Understand high level schematics and have a knowledge of PLC code.
- Willing to travel for advanced training of different electrical equipment and Factory Acceptance Tests of new equipment.
- Knowledge of Low Voltage Power Systems
- After hour call outs and on the phone technical support.
- Excellent computer skills particularly in programming and software development
- Communication skills – will need to be able to explain novel and complex ideas to stakeholders of all levels and within multidisciplinary teams. Written communication skills will also be needed for record keeping and documentation
- Problem-solving and creative thinking will be required to troubleshoot problems as they arise and find effective solutions