The Automation Engineer ensures successful completion of both company and client objectives at the project level. The main focus of the Automation Engineer is quality design, development, installation and fulfillment of processes and systems utilized for project execution.
The ideal candidate must have Emerson DeltaV experience to include system software and hardware design, configuration, optimization, and troubleshooting. While this position is primarily for DeltaV, the candidate must have experience with other systems and/or be willing to grow and learn other systems.
Primary Job Functions
- Project Fulfillment (Technical)
- Project ownership of applications/projects normally up to $75k.
- Design and development of automation systems unassisted or within a team.
- Modifies and maintains automation systems.
- Tests, troubleshoots and provides solutions to technical problems with minimal assistance.
- Writes computer software and programs as necessary.
- Leads project design, installation, commissioning, project closure and inspections/reporting.
- Able to read and interpret technical documentation (P&IDs, schematics, loop sheets, manuals, etc.)
- Participates and capable of leading the following project tasks: o Project Kickoff
- System Design / Procurement
- Programming / Configuration
- SAT / Commissioning
- Close-out Documentation
- Project Fulfillment (Customer Service/Quality)
- Contributes to overall compliance and quality of projects.
- Manages time and expenses within allotted project budget.
- Contributes to project scope and budget development.
- Provides project level consultancy and client service.
Secondary Job Functions
- Maintains awareness of future opportunities at customer facilities and informs management.
- Demonstrates and fosters maturity in judgment, ethics and integrity.
- Builds rapport, mentors and manages effective teams and work groups.
- Strong decision making skills, situational awareness and ability to perform under pressure.
- Understands others and demonstrates cognitive and behavioral flexibility. (Emotional Intelligence)
- Business/Financial acumen.
- High level of conflict resolution skills and the willingness to make difficult decisions specific to technology or resource needs.
- Demonstrates effective organizational, time management and planning skills.
- Possesses an appreciation of business demands (schedule, scope, budget and customer requirements).
- Ability to analyze and evaluate work processes, work flow and budgets to maintain successful project delivery.
- Demonstrates flexibility/adaptability in changing and challenging situations.
- Demonstrates a passion for the business and its success
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication.
- Demonstrates a focus on customer service and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous personal, peer and process improvement.
- Fosters positive energy, creativity and teamwork across all departments/locations with the goal of furthering the company values and to support the company mission.
- Emerson DeltaV experience to include system software and hardware design, configuration, optimization, and troubleshooting. (Formal training a plus but not required)
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years of Automation or Controls related experience (Electrical, Computer, Chemical or other Engineering/Technical degree), or a minimum of 5 years of Automation or Controls related experience (includes relevant intern, co-op, or basic work experience).
- Proficient with multiple automation system platforms including DCS, PLC, HMI, SCADA and other applicable systems.
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable personal transportation with valid liability insurance.
- Fluent in verbal and written English.
- Available for after-hour, weekend and holidays.
- Available for overnight and extended travel.
- Ability to bend, stoop, crawl, walk and push, pull and lift 50lbs for an extended period.