Job ID: 143906
Ash Grove Cement, a CRH company, provides portland and masonry cements to help build the foundation and infrastructure for the world around us. We ship millions of tons of cement from our plants and network of terminals located across the Midwest, Texas and Western United States. When you work for Ash Grove, you are connecting to something bigger. Join our team and help Ash Grove build America.
Coordinates engineering activities related to the implementation of new processes and the revision of existing processes, including the assignment and supervision of contractors. Performs engineering technician duties in the areas of control, instrumentation, electronics, etc. Provides electrical engineering assistance as needed and assigned throughout the plant. Uses independent judgment in performing daily activities. Works in conjunction with other plant engineering disciplines.
Works under general supervision on routine duties with specific instructions using specified standard practices and procedures. Refers to supervisor for guidance on unusual problems.
Supervises contractors and plant personnel as needed.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans, surveys, designs and writes electrical specifications and obtains electrical contractors for the implementation of new projects as well as the revision of existing ones. Supervises and inspects the work performed by contractors.
- Assumes responsibility for the maintenance of computer automation hardware and software, and other plant equipment utilized by various departments.
- Provides misc engineering assistance as needed for plant construction projects.
- Assists as specified by plant management in maintaining compliance with local, state and federal regulations pertaining to safety, environmental issues, etc. Provides associated training as needed.
- Performs field measurements.
- Maintains updated plant equipment data files, various drawings, engineering reference material.
- Inspects electrical and process control equipment received at the plant.
- Assists in the supervision of electrical department personnel on new installations and modifications.
- Provide or assist in training of new electricians, electrical engineer or other operations on new or existing equipment.
- Performs trouble shooting of electrical and electronic systems on new installations and modifications.
- Performs project development, debugging and documentation duties.
- Manages plant computer and network systems, including: copper and fiber cabling installation, termination, testing and troubleshooting. Project management on the last several upgrades to the control system, as well as larger cabling jobs and major systems upgrades. Network and serial connectivity with programmable logic controllers. Multiple Microsoft operating systems, and MS Office. Wireless networking configuration and management.
- PLC and ECS programming and troubleshooting of the main control system
- PLC and HMI programming and troubleshooting of control systems not associated with the main control system.
- Creating and updating electrical prints and maintaining equipment files.
- Designing and building of control circuits for new projects and changes to existing equipment.
- Work with contractors on projects involving control system changes, instrument installation/calibration, demo and additions to control systems including: VFD’s, Motors, Control Circuits, etc.
- Support and mentor MDE’s (manufacturing development engineers) in Engineering roles.
- Conducts electrical safety training and inspections as needed.
- Performs other job-related duties as requested or assigned.
- Heavily involved in PLC additions and requirements.
- Knowledge of engineering theories, principles and techniques, especially those regarding electrical engineering.
- Knowledge of electrical and control systems, instrumentation, computer operations, and other related technical areas.
- Ability to understand and operate computer software and hardware.
- Working knowledge of local, state and federal regulations pertaining to environmental and safety issues.
- Working knowledge of contract management practices and cement and/or lime manufacturing processes.
- Strategic planning, decision making, communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot engineering equipment such as measuring devices, calculators, computers and PLC’s.
- Ability to climb ladders and walk over rocky, slippery and uneven surfaces.
- Two-year technical degree in electricity/electronics required. 4-year engineering degree a plus.
- Three or more years of professional experience in a heavy industry, specific office and field experience in engineering design (to include programmable logic control equipment usage), automation systems and construction. Some project management experience and familiarity with contractors and sales people.
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our career site. Please complete your online profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
Ash Grove Cement is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.