Infiltrator Water Technologies is a leading provider of engineered plastic chambers, synthetic aggregate leachfields, tanks, and accessories for the onsite wastewater and storm water industries. Our mission is to improve the performance of onsite septic systems by producing the highest quality products in the industry. Infiltrator's commitment to product design, environmental excellence, and manufacturing innovation continue to be the cornerstone of our success.
IWT is the leader in our industry operating some of largest molding machines and robotics producing the largest plastic molded parts in the world. IWT has always and continues to compete on innovation; we hold over 200 patents and aggressively defend them. We strive to be safe in all we do and see automation, not only as a tool to improve efficiency, but also a means of eliminating potential injury from hazardous manual operations.
IWT is seeking a highly motivated Automation / Robotics Engineer to join a growing department focused on aggressive transformation to next level automation throughout all manufacturing operations; heavily concentrated in Winchester, KY's molding and material processing facilities but including operations in six satellite EZflow facilities, Presby Environmental and Delta Treatment Systems across the country. This position will be responsible for supporting design and implementation of robotic systems, as well as on-going maintenance, troubleshooting, and improvements to control and monitoring systems for various machinery, equipment, and processes, such as robotics, processing equipment, and other automated systems.
Typical projects would include conceptual design, development, validation and on-going support of new product development and associated manufacturing equipment / processes as well as conversion of current manufacturing yet to be automated. Current robots in use are largely supplied by Fanuc and range from 6-axis R2000i series 165F to the M2000iA 900L on a 7th axis handling molded parts in excess of 250 pounds. Automation cell capabilities range from simple part picking from molding machines through more complicated cells that pick parts, visually inspect, trim flash, weigh parts, conduct secondary operations (including router cutting, laser etching, etc.) and palletize.
Position reports to the Manager of MFG Automation.
- Contributes to overall team performance by providing production support, solving challenging problems, and assisting the Automation, MFG Engineering and Maintenance teams in meeting automation project objectives.
- Evaluates current automation and seeks opportunities to improve overall safety through introduction of additional automation throughout manufacturing.
- Supports Automation System design including PLC & HMI programming
- Writes documents such as User Requirements, Functional Specifications, detailed design specifications, electrical and hydraulic schematics, etc.
- Conducts full functional and factory acceptance testing & participates in project startup and commissioning.
- Assists Maintenance Department in the troubleshooting, repair, and upgrade of equipment automation systems.
- Designs end of arm tooling including structural components, mechanical and vacuum grippers, sensors, and various end effectors.
- Specifies, purchases, installs, documents, and maintains A.C. and D.C. drives.
QUALIFICATIONS (must have):
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Robotic Engineering
- 3 - 5 years of automation engineering experience.
- Ability to read, write, and use as a troubleshooting aid, electrical and hydraulic schematics.
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills with a results-oriented commitment
- Design and application knowledge of ergonomic and machine safety standards
- Understanding and functional knowledge of PLC's, low voltage controls, three phase power distribution, vision systems. Electronic sensors, pneumatics, hydraulics and robotics
- Excellent computer skills, including AutoCAD/Solidworks (or like), Microsoft Office, and MS Project
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as presentation skills
- Position is located in the Lexington, KY area
- Occasional travel to satellite facilities required.
- Experience with Fanuc robotics
- Experience with plastics injection molding equipment
- Lean manufacturing practices (Kanban, Poke-Yoke, JIT, Value Stream Mapping)