Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location / Division
Carlsbad, CA / Biosciences
How will you make an impact?
The Automation Engineering Technician provides a wide variety of technical maintenance & engineering services including electrical, controls and mechanical to develop, maintain, troubleshoot, and improve our automated production equipment.
What will you do?
- Ensure the safety of production equipment by ensuring compliance to regulations and industry standards
- Identify and correct any unsafe conditions related to electrical safety, shielding and guarding, safety interlocks and emergency stops
- Complete safety review checklists for all new equipment and for significant changes in processes and equipment
- Complete all work in compliance with site safety procedures including lock-out-tag-out, hot work, confined spaces, etc.
- Troubleshoot and repair production equipment promptly and thoroughly to minimize downtime
- Ensure spare parts are identified and on-hand for all production equipment
- Identify plan of action required for procurement of replacement parts where it is not practical to carry spare parts due to high cost or low probability of need
- Complete scheduled preventative maintenance tasks and adjust preventative maintenance requirements over-time as necessary
- Provide on-going training and mentoring to production associates to ensure that equipment is being operated and maintained appropriately
- Assist production with updates to equipment related SOPs to ensure accuracy of written instructions
- Specify new production equipment including researching of available technologies and providers, determination of specifications, obtaining quotations, recommending purchases, performing factory-acceptance-tests, arranging installation, completing startup, training, and performance qualification
- Establish spare parts and preventative maintenance requirements
- Perform factory-acceptance-tests for custom new production equipment
- Perform installation and debugging of new equipment
Complete safety review checklists
- Complete validation of new equipment and revalidation of significantly modified equipment
- For in-house designed equipment complete electrical design, drawings and schematics, specify and order components, complete wiring, assembly, PLC ladder logic programming, safety review, SOPs, spare parts, preventative maintenance and validation
- Assist as requested to utilize expertise on instrument products to recommend and implement design improvements, make repairs to demo instrument inventory, and implement test methods to ensure the quality and performance of instrument products
- Identify and implement improvements to reduce costs, improve quality and customer satisfaction, and ensure product availability and delivery
- Participate in site continuous improvement activities including PPI and Lean
How will you get here?
- High school diploma or GED
- 6 years applicable work experience
- Experience with automated production equipment in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with equipment design, specifications, fabrication, installation, and validation
- Strong mechanical skills including the ability to perform mechanical disassembly, repairs, and reassembly of complicated automated production equipment
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Electrical, Electronics and Controls - Proficient in electrical, electronics and controls technologies typically employed in industrial production equipment including PLC ladder logic programming and HMI configuration and programming
- Capable of trouble-shooting automated equipment, electronics, sensors, motors, and servos
- Proficient use with all hand and power tools
- Demonstrated working knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, lubrication, electrical systems and industrial automation
- Knowledge of practices and techniques in general construction, repair and maintenance in a commercial environment
- Communication – Strong verbal and written communication skills for effective interpersonal interactions
- Good writing skills for preparing specifications, experimental plans, and operating procedures
- Proficient in PC applications, including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Occasional travel to equipment providers, suppliers, other company sites, trade shows, etc.
- Position will require working in a wide variety of environments including office, laboratory, hazardous chemical production, cleanroom, general production and warehouse, occasionally outdoors around the site, on roof-tops, in mechanical spaces, interstitial spaces, etc.
- Requires occasional lifting up to 50 pounds
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Electronics, Packaging, Mechanics, or a related field
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.