Bertrandt - your trustworthy engineering partner
Looking for a career, not just a job? Want to join a dynamic team working for an international industry leader? Enjoy an energetic work atmosphere? Bertrandt US may be just what you have been looking for! The Bertrandt Group has been providing development solutions for the international automotive and aviation industries in Europe, China and the USA for more than 40 years. A total of around 13,000 employees at 53 locations guarantee extensive know-how, sustainable project solutions and a high level of customer orientation. Its main customers include the major manufacturers and numerous system suppliers.
The role of the Value Engineering Specialist is to analyze the technical content of production parts and drawings, and provide a ‘bottom-up’, ‘clean sheet’, or ‘should be’ calculation of what the part cost and what the related tooling & equipment cost is based on current and future market material, production, labor, profits and overhead. The potentials should be identified by competitor tear down analysis and bottom up calculations.
- Meet annual Business Plan for Analyzed Turnover for Piece Price and Tooling Investment Calculations
- Prepare material piece price, Tooling Investment, and/or pre-logistics cost calculations for ‘Heavy Items’ in Forward Sourcing, on an ad-hoc basis, or per the Business Plan for various commodities
- Perform cost calculations based on best practices
- Support the Purchasing Buyers with supplier negotiations based on the potential savings identified through analysis of tooling invest, piece price, and logistics cost calculations
- Analyze drawings and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates
- for parts and assemblies
- Consult with suppliers and internal departments to formulate estimates, resolve issues and changes or updates to cost calculation
- Responsible for developing accurate manufacturing cost estimates for a broad set of commodities
- Prepare weekly & monthly reports on key performance indicators to management team
- Identify and submit VA/VE cost savings opportunities for design, material and supply chain
- Participate in product cost reduction workshops with suppliers, buyers and engineering
- Define and develop Cost Engineering reference processes in internal knowledge domain
- Complete calculations of the cost impact associated with identified technical changes
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, formal training, reviewing professional publications
- BS Degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical, Electronic or Manufacturing Engineering.
- 5 or more years of professional experience in Electric/Electronics developments & Costing
- Electric/electronic development & manufacturing process background
- Strong knowledge about vehicle electronics functionalities such as ADAS, ECUs, HMI
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes of components and/or subsystems within automotive industry
- Understanding of manufacturing processes in various production segments:
- Electric: Injection Molding, Harnesses, PCB, Batteries, etc.
- Working knowledge of and ability to read drawings, CAD data, blueprints, material data sheets.
- Be able to create/define Manufacturing Process Flows and cycle times MTM.
- Ability to evaluate supplier quotations, cost breakdown worksheets, and tooling investment details.
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge about cost calculation tools/software like Siemens TCpCm/Excel based/ Facton ….
- Strong interpersonal skills requiring the ability to resolve conflicting interests and obtain cooperation, work effectively in a team.
- Knowledge of Suppliers Cost estimating strategies, i.e. Overheads, Indirect labor, direct labor, etc.
- Knowledge of DFM (Design for manufacture), process optimization.
- Competitor and tear-down analysis experience
- Master’s in Engineering
- Travel to suppliers throughout US, Canada, Mexico and Germany as required
- Complete and comprehensive benefits package including Med/Dent/Vision
- Employer paid STD/LTD/Life
- 401k Retirement program
- Generous paid vacation/sick/holidays
- Creativity encouraged in a fun, friendly work environment