When lives are on the line, Navy Aviation Rescue Swimmers (AIRRs) are exceptionally adept at answering the call. These brave men and women embody the courage of America's Navy – readily going into harm's way to complete their rescue missions in some of the most extreme environments imaginable.
Aviation Rescue Swimmers are a tightly knit group, dedicated to being the top emergency response unit in the world. They routinely put the safety of others before their own – applying intense physical and mental training to challenging real-world situations where there's no margin for error.
Qualifications and Requirements
No college degree is required to become an Enlisted Navy AIRR, but a high degree of difficulty and satisfaction come standard with nearly everything you'll do. Training is tough and ongoing.
To qualify for Rescue Swimmer Training, both men and women must:
- Meet specific eyesight requirements: uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100; correctable to 20/20 in both eyes with normal depth and color perception
- Meet the minimum Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) score: VE+AR+MK+MC=210 or VE+AR+MK+AS=210
- Pass a PST in DEP/Boot Camp
- Pass Class 1 Flight Physical
- Be 30 years of age or younger
- Must be a U.S. citizen and eligible for security clearance
The chart below highlights the current minimum Navy Physical Screening Test (PST) requirements for Navy Challenge Programs.
NOTE: You should consult your physician or other health-care professional before starting any exercise regime or other fitness program to determine if it is right for your needs. This is particularly true if you (or your family) have a history of medical illnesses or ailments that could be made worse by a change in physical activity. Do not start a fitness program if your physician or health-care provider advises against it.
General qualifications may vary depending upon whether you're currently serving, whether you've served before or whether you've never served before.
Learn more about life in the Navy at https://www.monster.com/company/profiles/US-NAVY-1
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Professional Development
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Tuition Reimbursement