Coordinate and direct the legal affairs of various delegated authority commercial insurance business units. Oversee coverage litigation pending throughout the United States, across designated lines of business. Participate in the development and implementation of Company-wide initiatives to achieve efficiency and reduction or elimination of legal exposure. Provide legal counsel and guidance on the ordinary and special activities of the claims department and specified insurance business unit(s). Ensure maximum protection of commercial insurance business units’ legal rights, utilizing broad familiarity with most legal disciplines. Ensure coordination and communication within the Legal Department that results in the appropriate attorneys’ or subject matter experts’ involvement in the appropriate matters. Reports to the Vice President, Deputy General Counsel.
- Responsible for counseling and advising the Deputy General Counsel and the executive team on all legal matters and business considerations.
- In coordination with others in the Legal Department, provide strategic direction and guidance in all matters which affect business activities.
- Provide legal counsel, business advice, analyze, review, draft and negotiate documents in connection with contracts and insurance related products.
- Manage litigation against the Company, including oversight of outside counsel, coordination of internal resources, review and approval of pleadings and briefs and analysis and formulation of strategy.
- Provide oversight and support to the Claims Department in coverage litigation, including review and approval of declaratory judgment actions and witness preparation.
- In coordination with others in the Legal Department, provide strategic direction and guidance in matters which affect business activities.
- Work in partnership with the company's operational areas, including, as appropriate, underwriting, reinsurance, marketing, claims, finance, tax, technology and human resources.
- Interact positively and professionally with all levels of management, and clients, including senior management, agents, brokers, customers, and outside agencies.
- Operate as a results-oriented executive with a track record of gaining management credibility and influencing business results.
- Operate as a business partner with the business team by working together with the business team to successfully achieve the business unit’s goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate a high degree of independent judgment.
- Must be willing to take and defend firm positions
Candidate is expected to have a law degree and be in good standing in the Bar in at least one of the fifty states with a minimum of ten years of experience in commercial insurance at a law firm or as in house counsel. Experience with litigation strategy, witness preparation, deposition defense and brief writing/editing is desirable, as is knowledge of commercial contracts, including insurance industry specific agreements. Insurance industry knowledge is required.
Arch Insurance is a global insurer offering our clients superior coverage and service. We embody the Arch guiding principle of focusing on retaining experienced and talented employees to differentiate us from the rest of the pack. Our group operates from offices in the US, Canada, Bermuda, UK, and Australia, providing specialty risk solutions to clients worldwide across a wide range of industries. With over ten years of operating history and strong financial ratings, our track record remains solid.
Arch Insurance employs a disciplined underwriting approach and prudent risk selection across all types of business. Our mission is to provide our insureds with superb coverage and claims handling through careful and diligent underwriting of risks and business-friendly solutions. Across our global operations, Arch Insurance employees are ready to meet your needs with professionalism and excellence.