The Save Mart Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers in California and Nevada. It is home to a number of well-known brands in food retailing. You might have seen our banners that include Save Mart, Lucky, Lucky California and Food Maxx. We also have 4 distribution centers and SMART Refrigerated Transport, a trucking firm that transports dry groceries, frozen foods, ice and novelties to all of The Save Mart Companies stores. We are a locally and family owned business, headquartered in the heart of one of the greatest agricultural areas of our nation - the San Joaquin Valley.
Some of our competitive benefits include: exceptionally generous benefits package (Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K), flexible schedule options, Employee Connection (earn fun and valuable prizes!), Life Long Learning – Educational opportunities, Employee Association (discounted and free tuition options, contests, and support services).
We are currently recruiting for the position of:
Bakery Manager - 828 J Street, Marysville, CA 95901
The Bakery Department Manager ensures that our customers’ needs are met and exceeded through effective day-to-day management of the operations and merchandising functions for the assigned department. This position oversees department product and conditions to include, preparation and display areas, back room, equipment, schematics, and inventory.
The Bakery Department Manager provides leadership and direction to Department associates to promote a culture reflective of The Save Mart Companies mission statement and winning behaviors. This position trains and develops employees to enable their success and ability to advance in their careers. The Manager manages performance and productivity to optimize department performance goals.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Provides customers with a remarkable shopping experience by demonstrating, training, and holding store associates accountable for excellent customer service
• Achieves department financials (sales, profit and loss, projections, metrics, and analysis) by identifying, defining, and implementing best department practices and optimization strategies utilizing innovative solutions
• Directly leads department staff with focus on accountability and achieving high level of business performance outcomes for department
• Develops department staff (annual appraisal discussion, supervision reports, annual goals/performance review, quarterly progress review, employee surveys, etc.)
• Implements department’s visual merchandising and plan providing innovative solutions, emphasizing “fresh”
• Effectively utilizes resources to improve productivity, flexibility and efficiencies of labor, and quality of shopping experience
• Oversees schematic implementation, stocking standards, item to tag integrity, back room organization
• Manages product rotation, spoils, shrink, and markdowns
• Ensures department’s overall cleanliness/conditions
• Manages sign and price integrity
• Manages department to ensure bakery products are prepared according to banner guidelines and special orders are prepared as requested by customers (e.g., special occasion cakes)
• Trains department staff on department procedures, to include food preparation and packaging, hands-on safety, food safety, department planning tools
• Orders product (utilizes order/inventory system, pre-orders, promotion/seasonal planning)
• Analyzes and manages to product performance to maximize sales and profitability
• Manages the accuracy of department inventory
• Contributes to overall store conditions (to include store safety, food safety, sanitation, hazardous waste, protection of company assets, etc.) ensuring a safe working and shopping experience
• Performs other duties as assigned
Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership/team building and training skills
• Excellent customer service skills and suggestive selling ability
• Strong organization, administration (to include department financial) and math skills
• Knowledge of:
o Department operations and financials
o Bakery products
o Department food safety and hazardous materials rules/regulations
o Baking and decorating techniques
o Visual merchandising techniques
o Use and care of professional bakery equipment and tools
o Applicable union contractual agreement language
Education: One year of college (or equivalent knowledge gained through formal education, specialized training, or additional job experience)
Experience: Two years Bakery Department experience – or - in current Produce, Meat, or Center Store Department Manager role
Other: Available to work a variety of required retail hours
Physical: Requires standing and other physical movements on a frequent basis. Requires lifting up to 40 lbs.
• Customer Focus
• Leading People
• Management Skills
• Personal/Interpersonal Skills
The Save Mart Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we welcome resumes from individuals who will contribute to our diverse workforce.