The retail bakery clerk is responsible for assisting customers with their selections, assuring the quality and freshness of product, assuring that the appropriate variety of product is available, merchandising according to department standards, following all food safety and sanitation procedures, and assisting other members of the retail team as needed to assure customer service excellence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The following description of work to be performed by this individual is not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather, it focuses on the major tasks that must be accomplished. There are many necessary activities to satisfy any of the following performance guidelines.
- Provide sensational customer service.
- Maximize product sales by telling customers about products, offering samples and suggestions for use, preparation and menu ideas.
- Prepare product for self-service sale by wrapping, weighing, and pricing in accordance with department specifications.
- Follow all food safety guidelines including hand washing, sanitizing, cooling, heating, and storing of product to guard against contamination and assure that all products are safe for consumption.
- Assure that all stock is maintained at the appropriate level by restocking cases and shelves as needed to assure that adequate inventory levels of each product are displayed to avoid lost sales from product shortages.
- Follow stock rotation guidelines to assure that distressed and close dated product is removed from the sales floor at the appropriate time to maximize product freshness and quality for our customers.
- Follow all safety guidelines to ensure that safe work practices are used at all times and to ensure that a safe working and shopping environment is maintained at all times.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area including sales floor and backroom areas that are free from debris and clutter with clean floors, cases, shelves, glass, clean and organized coolers and/or storage areas, and clean and/or sanitized equipment and/or tools as appropriate for the area.
- Maintain pricing integrity by ensuring that products are labeled and priced correctly and errors that do occur are immediately brought to the attention of the manager and corrected.
- Follow prescribed merchandising guidelines to assure that product is presented in the most desirable way to maximize appearance, presentation, and sales.
- Assist in receiving product deliveries, providing an accurate accounting of quantities and items received to assure that receiving records reflect an accurate accounting of goods delivered.
- Required: High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Licensing Required: none
3. Experience: none
4. Other required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A service-oriented individual with a high energy, positive and friendly demeanor
- Understanding of basic food safety guidelines
- Ability to read, spell, complete phone orders and follow instructions
- Artistic ability with color sense to produce beautiful and appealing cake decorations
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Sound judgment, decision making, and problem solving skills
- Ability to respond to continually changing priorities and coordinate multiple projects
- Comply with all other regulatory agencies