Beginning in the Fall 2019, JW Marriott Savannah Plant Riverside District is set to transform Savannah’s historic riverfront into a vibrant new entertainment destination inviting guests and visitors to experience incredible dining between 12+ outlets, live music and concerts, high-end shopping and inspired hotel stays. The JW Marriott Savannah will offer 419 beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites for couples, families, business guests and groups looking for inspiration, and discerning travelers with an appetite for something different.
JW Marriott Savannah offers a work experience unlike any other—where pursuing your passion is not only welcomed, it’s actively encouraged. We’re seeking over 700 new associates (aka Grand Performers) to fill positions in entertainment, hospitality and other specialty services at Plant Riverside District.
As a Grand Performer, you will have access to ELITE Benefits/Perks such as:
•Hotel Stay and Food/Beverage discounts at Marriott Hotels Worldwide for you and your family/friends
•Free Employee Meals!
•We are all friends here! Refer your friends and get a Bonus up to $2000 if they are hired!
•20% Discount at all Kessler restaurants, Art Galleries, and Spas
•Start early with your Retirement Plan! 401K match up to 6% - goes into effect after 3 months
•Health Insurance Plans as low as $24/week!
•Stay Healthy! Kessler Wellness Challenge – promotes healthy lifestyle with discounts at gyms and giveaways
•We care about your Fur Babies too! We provide discounted Pet Insurance!
• After your 1st year, you can accrue on average of 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO)
•We will offer 1.5 times the base rate/hour when you work any of the 7 observed holidays throughout the year!
•”Tickets at Work” discounts, special access to theme parks and more!
•Recognition Program with amazing prizes!
•Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Certification Assistance
•Company paid Basic Life Insurance $10,000
***This position is expected to start 1/2 month prior to opening date***
Purpose / Objective
The overall objective and purpose of the Banquet Utility is to provide assistance to the banquet team in servicing catering events. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring events are set according to the banquet event order and providing support to the banquet staff in servicing the function. They are to provide inspiring and strategic leadership while directing the activities of the banquet operation in support of the mission, core values, standard and goals established by the company.
Areas of Responsibility
Primary areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the following:
- Greet and interact with internal and external guests in a genuine warm and friendly manner using professional and Kessler standard nomenclature.
- Operate the telephone system, answering calls within three (3) rings, using the correct salutation and telephone etiquette.
- Maintain the integrity of the guests’ privacy, including confidentiality of personal information and key control.
- Maintain the integrity of Company proprietary information and protect Company assets.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of menu items and banquet event orders.
- Set up tables, chairs, audio visual equipment, and other items according to the specifications of the event.
- Obtain linen and drape tables.
- Polish glassware and silverware.
- Set tables with silverware, glassware and decorations.
- Vacuum carpet and rugs.
- Clean and dust all banquet furnishings as needed.
- Replace soiled and worn table linens.
- Tear town events and food and beverage stations,
- Assist in serving food and beverage in a genuine, friendly, professional and efficient manner consistent with the Kessler image and standards,
- Complete opening and closing procedures as well as side-work,
- Maintain a neat and organized work area to include adhering to sanitation standards according to state law and health codes
- Maintain complete knowledge and comply with company policies and procedures
- Maintain neat, clean and professional appearance according to standards
- Follow all company safety and security policies and procedures. Report accidents, injuries and unsafe conditions
- Welcome and acknowledge guests with disabilities and follow proper procedures to accommodate needs.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationship and support the team to achieve our goals
- Attend required training and meetings
- All other duties as assigned, planned or un-planned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s)
To perform this role successfully, an individual must have experience achieving desired result(s) in their areas of responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of observable behaviors and essential knowledge, skill, and abilities required of a successful incumbent.
- Knowledge of gust service etiquette and proper food and beverage serving techniques
- Ability to perform all tasks related to banquet utility
- Ability to remain calm in various situations, use sound judgement and effectively solve problems
- Ability to work quickly, prioritize, and maintain service of multiple guests
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and procedural manuals
- Ability to demonstrate cash handling procedures and calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, commissions, upgrades and percentages
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
Education, Certifications, Work Experience:
- High school diploma, GED Degree, or related training equivalent - required
- 1+ year of relevant work experience in similar scope and title – required
- Experience within luxury brand/markets - required
Work Environment / Conditions
The work environment/conditions described herein are representative of those that an incumbent may experience.
- Must be comfortable working in a shared space, with constant noise, without the use of a private office.
- Must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism & collaboration.
- Schedules may vary from week to week based on business demands in excess of 40 hours with or without notice.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. *Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions & physical demands of this role.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to see, hear, reach, use fingers to handle and feel, and stand and walk up to 8 hours on a daily basis.
- Push, pull, and lift up to 60 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to travel by foot, car, bus, airplane or other means of transportation which require sitting, waiting and standing for long and short periods of time.