- Oak Park, IL, USA
- Full Time
Effectively supervises and manages all bar operations in order to create the Best Corner Bar in Town. Develops a team of bartenders that deliver the speed of service and accurately prepared mixed beverages at all times. Delivers the exceptional Guest experience through responsible alcohol service. Controls beverage costs, production, labor and manages beverage quality. Optimizes profits by increasing sales through local marketing campaigns that drive Guest traffic.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Local Marketing/Promotions
- Drives sales through utilizing local marketing initiatives as outlined in bar manuals and operational playbooks.
- Identifies operational opportunities to build sales and control costs; develop and implement plans to address opportunities.
- Is knowledgeable of competitors' bar initiatives to remain competitive in your market.
- Works with bartenders and other key employees to promote local events and promotions.
- People Development
- Staffs, trains and develops hourly Team Members through ongoing feedback and coaching, the establishment of performance expectations and by conducting performance reviews on a regular basis.
- Ensures all newly hired Team Members follow and complete their appropriate training plan, including required paper and electronic paperwork (tip credit notices included where applicable).
- Coaches and develops talent.
- Elevates staff morale and sets an example of proper business conduct.
- Maintains an accurate and up-to-date manpower plan of staffing needs. Prepares schedules and ensures that areas of responsibility are staffed properly for all shifts.
- Day in the Life (Daily Roles)
- Manages operations during scheduled shifts that include daily decision-making, staff support, Guest interaction, scheduling, planning while upholding standards, product quality, and cleanliness.
- Proactively runs a shift and anticipates Guest needs.
- Frequently interacts with Guests to ensure they receive the Fridays Service Style experience; follow up on any issues and complaints they may have.
- Operations and Systems
- Ensures beverage quality by maintaining high levels of cleanliness, organization, storage, sanitation offood products.
- Carefully observes bar operations and addresses any issues out of alignment promptly and directly.
- Demonstrates responsibility for purchasing, receiving and storing beverage products, an inspection of local
- suppliers, use of correct products and proper par levels to minimize beverage waste and optimize total beverage cost.
- Manages inventory efficiently, accurately, and in a cost-effective manner.
- Understands all bar equipment operations and preventive maintenance.
- Ensures that the restaurant and staff are set up for an outstanding shift; from product, to equipment, to ambiance.
- In the absence of the General Manager and as acting Manager on Duty, oversees the entire restaurant operation.
- Ensure proper security procedures are in place to protect Team Members, Guests and Company assets.
- Guest relations issues
- Vendor related issues
- Employee relations decisions with General Managers input
- Ensures all Team Members adhere to recipe standards
- Team Member hiring
- Team Member terminations
- Sales and service objective strategies
- Recruiting strategies
- Overall FOH Quality of Operations
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Guest satisfaction scores meet/exceed company standards
- Quality of Operations and Execution
- Grow sales to meet or exceed annual sales budget
- Meeting Beverage cost, waste, and variance budget
- Meeting Labor Budget
- Meeting or exceeding requirements for Ecosure Audit scores for the year
- Team Member turnover meets company requirements
- College coursework with Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Minimum of 6 months of restaurant management experience
- Minimum of 2 years of bar experience, with extensive knowledge of bar operations.
- Prior experience in purchasing and production
- Must be able to walk and stand during entire shift (up to 10 hours based on scheduled shift)
- Frequent bending and stooping required
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. (including the maneuvering of beer kegs within the beer cooler)
- Must be able to read and write English
- Must be able to hear well amongst loud background noise
ASSESSING AND SELECTING TALENT: Effectively identifies and evaluates the talent for the bar in order to select individuals that exhibit pride, passion and personality and build top performing teams.
- Proactively identifies strong bar candidates and "sells" Fridays in order to get the best talent on board.
- Utilizes selection tools and processes as guidelines to effectively assess and hire the right people for the team.
- Supports selection decisions by identifying high potential within the team in order to maximize internal promotes.
- Identifies great talent based on diverse backgrounds, skills, and abilities as well as common passion for mixology.
- Understands where individual talent can be best utilized; matches the right people with the right job.
- Knows who top performers are and takes the necessary steps to engage and retain them.
- Ensures that new employees are equipped with the proper training and resources necessary to experience success.
COACHING FOR PERFORMANCE: Works closely with team members to observe performance and give clear directed feedback to help them grow and succeed.
- Provides ongoing guidance and direction to help Team Members reach their full potential.
- Gives honest feedback that is specific, timely and action-oriented.
- Promptly recognizes and encourages effective performance.
- Helps to develop and execute plans for each Team Member that maximize strengths and improve weak areas.
- Ensures Team Members are given challenging assignments to help them learn new skills that can prepare them for the next level.
- Takes a hands-on approach to developing others by providing clear examples of desired behaviors to ensure understanding.
LEADS AND INSPIRES OTHERS: Sets the example for the team; effectively influences and motivates them to reach goals.
- Acts with integrity in all dealings; demonstrates consistency in words and actions.
- Demonstrates genuineness, openness, and approachability and consistently treats all Team Members with dignity and respect.
- Effectively manages stress level during difficult situations.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand and adjust leadership style to fit others' needs.
- Plays an active role in the kitchen; rallies the staff in peak service periods and jumps in to help wherever needed.
- Frequently and genuinely acknowledges and rewards strong performance.
- Treats all employees in a fair and consistent manner.
- Fosters frequent dialogue between the Bar staff and all other employees.
- Demonstrates effective listening by being available to Team Members and responding to needs and concerns.
COMMUNICATION: Keeps everyone on the same page through frequent information sharing and open dialogue.
- Encourages open, honest and timely communication among Team Members.
- Holds frequent meetings where information is shared freely by staff.
- Takes advantage of opportunities to engage in one-on-one communication.
- Communicates regularly with vendors to manage par levels and upcoming events.
MANAGING EXECUTION: Precisely executes standards of food service and preparation and consistently ensures accountability for expedient, quality results from every member of the bar.
- Ensures 100% compliance with kitchen operating procedures, recipes, and health and safety regulations.
- Sets high standards and always looks to raise the bar.
- Makes quality and efficiency the top priorities in kitchen operations.
- Holds team members accountable to meet obligations.
- Does not allow any sub-par food to go out to the Guest and holds kitchen staff accountable for their efforts.
- Makes tough but necessary decisions in regards to discipline.
- Identifies and corrects mistakes immediately to provide hands on learning experiences.
PASSION FOR THE GUEST: Ensures that every action and decision leads to an exceptional Guest experience.
- Models exemplary hospitality by doing everything they can to meet Guest needs and requests.
- Encourages Team Members to focus efforts and attention on going above and beyond to exceed Guest expectations and create repeat visits.
- Effectively balances Guest needs with the need to run an efficient profitable kitchen operation.
- Stays abreast of Guest comments and utilizes Guest feedback to improve kitchen performance.
- Shows awareness of kitchen operations and tries to head off any potential problems that could impact Guest needs or enjoyment of their meal.
- Follows up to ensure that Guest issues and complaints are addressed and resolved promptly.
DECISION MAKING & PROBLEM SOLVING: Thinks problems through, acts with urgency and always keeps the best interests of the brand at heart when making decisions.
- Able to digest information quickly, boil it down, and identify relevant issues.
- Finds root causes in order to develop workable solutions to problems.
- Draw important connections and consider both short and long-term implications of decisions.
- Right or wrong shows the willingness to make the call and accepts responsibility for decisions and results.
- Evaluates various solutions to problems before taking action.
- Acts quickly and decisively when needed based on the need and urgency of situation.
FLEXIBLY ADAPTS AND MANAGES CHANGE: Supports and champions major food and beverage campaigns to the FOH staff in order to drive results and grow the brand.
- Responds quickly to changing needs and adapts as necessary to meet new challenges.
- Displays a positive, confident attitude for tackling new challenges and initiatives.
- Build support and commitment among kitchen staff by explaining purpose and goals around menu changes and other major food initiatives.
- Understands new menu items and speaks knowledgeably of changes to both FOH and BOH staff.
- Ensures that menu changes and updates are fully integrated into the kitchen operations and sustained over time.
- Perseveres through resistance to change with positive influence and firm accountability.
- Effectively manages daily priorities while keeping track of long-term initiatives.
MANAGING FINANCIAL RESULTS: Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the financial components of the restaurant operation and the bar's role in meeting the bottom line.
- Analyzes financial profit and loss results, Guest satisfaction measures, and other key performance data.
- Uses appropriate tools and resources to monitor kitchen performance and understand factors that affect success and growth.
- Supports the DO and GMs initiatives to grow business
- Ensures consistent quality and execution of food in order to help drive the brand and increase sales.
- Displays critical insight into the key drivers of business success.
- Makes financial needs an important consideration in plans and decisions.