The Farehouse Market is looking for a Barista to join our team!
Work for a growing company with a personal touch. Leadership is visible, approachable and shows that they care about their teams. The Farehouse Market allows you to become an integral part of the local community, in an environment where you are listened to, supported and work-life balance and consistent scheduling is a priority. You are not just a number at The Farehouse Market.
The Farehouse Market is located in Chicago’s historic riverside Montgomery Ward catalogue building, the latest in the national landmark’s 111-year tenure. We provide high-quality food, exceptional responsiveness and intensely personal service. We are committed to creating the most enduring relationships in the industry by what we do and how we do it, which is achieved through an unwavering commitment to our values.
The Farehouse Market is seeking an outgoing, confident, high-energy professional with a strong background in coffee and customer service. Our retail café is the face of our business and the point of interaction most people have with our brand.The barista will prepare expertly crafted coffee drinks, develop relationships with customers, and help with the daily café operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Cascades the vision of The Farehouse Market ensuring the The Farehouse Market vision, values and founding principles are effectively communicated, understood and practiced.
- Demonstrates commitment to Farehouse vision, values and missions through actions on a daily basis.
- Reports to scheduled shifts on time and in complete uniform.
- Ability to make any kind of coffee drink (espresso, cappuccino, latte, cold brew, French press).
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about coffee, tea and drink preparation and products.
- Greets courteously all customers who walk through our doors.
- Provides efficient, friendly and prompt service to the the customers and patrons of the building’s tenant businesses.
- Informs manager of need for change in a timely manner.
- Presents, explains and answers questions about coffee drink menu.
- Replenishes condiments, beverages and general supplies while maintaining cleanliness of service area.
- Cleans equipment and work station thoroughly before leaving the area for other assignments.
- Processes transactions through the Point of Sale system and count back change to customers.
- Ensures proper presentation, portion control and maintenance of proper serving temperatures.
- Serves as an advocate of selling techniques to the customer by establishing good communication and assisting in the buying decision-making process
- Maintains supplies and inventory.
- Assists in overall sanitation and organization of line and surrounding areas.
- Maintains open, positive and effective communication with others.
- Performs opening and closing responsibilities, storing and cleaning of all line items and restocking all areas assigned.
- Maintains and develops relationships with clients, guests and staff during events by using their names whenever possible and anticipates their needs.
- Follows all The Farehouse Market policies and food safety guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- High School Diploma/GED or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a cash handling position.
- Ability to perform simple arithmetic as well as to understand measurements and conversions.
- Responsible for meeting and maintaining state and local certification requirements (Food Handler certification).
- Previous experience in a similar role.
- Previous experience in the food service industry working in Cofee places or Restaurants.
The Farehouse Market is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.