The referee’s responsibility is to enforce the rules impartially and control the contest so that the players are afforded a positive game experience.
- Enforce the rules of the game without partiality
- Be consistent - a team can adjust to a consistent official.
- Be sure all signals are clearly visible to the players, coaches and spectators, so that they immediately understand the call.
- Do not comment on another official's decisions unless he/she requests your assistance.
- If you are questioned about the other officials call, never publicly disagree. Simply state that it was the other officials call.
- Control your temper - a calm official gains respect.
- Take time to explain the calls instead of just asserting them.
- Be neat and wear your official outfit and have a whistle.
- Keep a current copy of the rules where it is accessible at all times during the game.
- Meet with other officials before the start of the game to clarify responsibilities.
- Introduce yourself to the coaches and players before the game.
- If you have any problems with the coaches, spectators or players inform designated YMCA employee immediately.
- Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values
- Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in a challenging situation
- Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions
- Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, and plans work.
Requires an expertise and knowledge of the game and strategy of basketball in order to control the behavioral responses of players, coaches and spectators.
Must hold a certification in refereeing basketball from an accredited organization.