- Position Type:
Non-Certified Support/Behavior Intervention Specialist
- Date Posted:
Administration - Support Services
ROCKFORD PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT #205
Job Title: Behavior Intervention Specialist
Job Code: 9215
Supervisor: Director of Youth Services Network and /or Executive Director of Student Services & Alternative Learning
Date: May 30, 2018
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: This is a full-time position designed to facilitate communication and to provide behavior intervention services to the students of RPS205.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. In addition to the requirements listed below, regular attendance is an essential function of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Ensures that all actions are in concert with the Board policies as well as the mission statement, beliefs, objectives and parameters found in the Board’s strategic plan.
- Carries out such additional duties as required or as conditions necessitate for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
- Participates in job training and professional growth opportunities in order to enhance ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Establish good rapport with staff, students and building administrators.
- Analyze various school data and help plan, coordinate and implement “Connected School” interventions.
- Communicate behavior intervention plans between all involved parties, including students, administration, teachers and parents.
- Establish and maintain contact with community providers who work with students.
- Participate in conferences and other meetings regarding student concerns. Participate in all teachers meetings and “Problem Solving Team” meetings.
- Make referrals to mental health, substance abuse and medical providers for appropriate services.
- Be aware of social problems that affect the families and be able to help alleviate the problems that impact school behavior.
- Be available to school staff as a resource for specific family and student problems.
- Function on an ethical and professional manner at all times, so that confident, respectful and professional relationships can be maintained with students and families.
- In order to perform these duties, it will be necessary to transport students, parents and family members.
- Play an active role in the Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) school-based planning.
- Act as a positive role model for students.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 20 hours of child development coursework.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of experience working with children and adolescents.
- Experience with school and/or community systems is necessary.
- Familiarity with behavior issues, school interventions, juvenile justice, wrap around and local resources is beneficial.
- Outstanding skills in writing, speaking and listening.
- Experience with diversity of cultures and ethnicities.
- Creative, innovative approach to problem solving.
- Passionate about children and the importance of their education.
Moderate in-district travel as well as intermittent in-state and out-of-state travel. Intermittent prolonged and irregular hours of work.
This job description describes duties and responsibilities which are representative of the nature and level of work assigned to the position. The identified duties and responsibilities are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the school district and employee and is subject to change by the school district as the needs of the school district and requirements of the job change.