Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Behavioral Health Coach
As an integral member of the Center for Transformative Care, the Behavioral Health Coach assists in the integration of behavioral health in the primary care setting and is supportive of other Center for Transformative Care initiatives.
Consistent with a team-based care model, the Behavioral Health Coach collaborates with all members of the interdisciplinary care team including providers in the primary care practice and consultative mental health disciplines to provide behavioral health management. The coach will work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team to implement evidence-based services for primary care patients utilizing tools and training from the IMPACT Collaborative Care model and University of Chicago Medicine resources.
This position requires a strong working knowledge of coaching techniques including motivational interviewing and behavioral activation as well as common mental health conditions, psychosocial issues and chronic diseases which impact overall health and wellbeing. Experience should include a minimum of two years of experience in a mental health setting or integrated primary care-behavioral health setting.
The Behavioral Health Coach should demonstrate prudent clinical judgment based on established professional standards and guidelines, effective problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and strong organizational and interpersonal skills experience with team-based care, creativity, flexibility, and the ability to multi-task.
Behavioral Health Coach Job Discription
- Screen patients for behavioral health problems
- Assess patients for common mental health and substance abuse conditions.
- Identifies psychosocial, financial, legal, psychiatric or substance use issues that affect patient care management and collaborates with the team to support and facilitate the patient care process.
- Triage referrals from primary care clinicians to the consultative team
- Ensure systematic screening of adults for depression, using evidence-based screening tools.
- Effectively communicate treatment recommendations, assessment, and case recommendations to the referring primary care team.
- Facilitate discussion of treatment plan changes when patients are not improving.
- Support the primary care provider in outreach to established mental health providers for patients already engaged in treatment.
- Maintain registry of patients
- Actively facilitate patient engagement and follow-up in care.
- Provide education to patients using a variety of educational materials.
- Develop maintenance plan with patients to help ensure a healthy lifestyle once in remission.
- Provide, or facilitate outside referrals to community based mental health and community support services.
- Responsible for identifying available behavioral health and social support resources in our local community and helps build and maintain strong referral relationships with these providers.
- Documents relevant information in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties as required.
Behavioral Health Coach Qualification
Located in historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is an anchor institution in the Southside of Chicago and has been at the forefront of medical care since 1927, when it first opened to patients. Since then, our growing footprint has allowed us to expand exponentially, providing access to world-class, ground-breaking care to communities all over Illinois and northwest Indiana.
This past December, we opened our doors to the newest, most state-of-the-art adult emergency department in the state of Illinois, followed by the launch of a Level 1 Adult Trauma Center in May. As of this spring, UChicago Medicine received Magnet designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Our team of nurses and interdisciplinary professionals are the best in class and provide the highest level of excellence in patient care. In addition, this year we received our 13th consecutive “A” rating from the Leapfrog Group for hospital safety. We are proud to be recognized amongst an pool of elite hospitals in the nation that consistently receive top ratings by U.S. News & World Report, including three UChicago Medicine specialties -- cancer (#31), gastroenterology & GI surgery (#42) and gynecology (#46) . Twelve Nobel Prize winners in physiology or medicine have been affiliated with the University of Chicago Medicine.
Why Join Us
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront,
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.