The Benefits Specialist will assist with the administration of Health and Welfare plans. Responsibilities include developing and recommending benefits programs/policies/procedures to management and assisting with plan design, program documentation, vendor management, record retention and compliance. Handles administrative duties for Southern Research benefit programs in addition to interfacing with benefit providers and employees. Administrator responsibilities include updates in applicable systems (changes, approve eligibility, make corrections, terminate benefits, etc.). Support all business units with benefits-related inquiries and processes.
- Serve as a key contact for employees within a business unit for questions regarding benefits, perks, leaves, time off.
- Primary business unit contact for questions related to leave of absences such as personal leaves, maternity, paternity, disability, state and federal compliance and liaison between employees and vendors.
- Assist with reporting analytics, modeling, budgeting, and forecasting associated with each benefit offering.
- Assist with data collection and employee communications related to compliance such as HIPAA, COBRA, DOL filings, and annual retirement plan audits.
- Assist with employee communications related to health and wellness to maximize engagement.
- Assist with annual benefit Open Enrollment.
- Support the management of the company 401(k) plans.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulatory laws.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Conduct benefits orientation/presentations for new hires and newly eligible employees.
- Complete benefit enrollment/de-enrollment for new hires, life events, terminations (including retirees) and ensure new hires complete ESS enrollment and vendors are notified.
- Perform a variety of administrative and complex benefit related administrative work, to include but not limited to, maintaining a variety of files and filing systems to include employee, retiree, and terminated personnel filing. Maintain all active employee and COBRA enrollment records for the group health program, entering and verify a variety of data into the computer system, and maintaining benefits related forms and documents.
- Coordinate and participate in the open enrollment and orientation of new employees signing up for benefits, processes enrollment forms, and assists with and resolves insurance issues with employees and insurance carriers.
- Assist the HR Benefits Supervisor with various benefits related projects in support of benefits administration and provide administrative support to the Compensation staff as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree (Human Resources, Business, or related discipline preferred).
- 4 years of Benefits experience.
- Experience with applicable leave and accommodation laws including the FMLA, ADA and state and local laws.
- Experience with HRIS/online benefit enrollment systems.
- Knowledge of federal and benefit regulations.
- Familiarity with training modules and learning management systems.
- Extensive administrative and customer service experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Must maintain the highest degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to use sound judgment within defined practices and procedures.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and meet stringent deadlines.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience with CostPoint and Cognos.
- Experience in other areas of HR.