Position: Best Friends Cat Care Manager
Reports to: Animal Care Director
Location: Kanab, Utah
FLSA status: Exempt
Position Summary: The Best Friends Cat Care Manager aligns the Sanctuary based cat programs with the overall Organization's strategic plan. Providing leadership and management to the work of the Cat World, Kitten Nursery, and Community Cat Program teams, focusing on achieving the greatest impact through direct rescue, exemplary care, community outreach, and regional and national representation for Best Friends.
- Provide managerial oversight and strategic direction to Cat World, the Kitten Nursery and the Four Directions Community Cat Program.
- Oversee admissions, flow, care, enrichment and live outcomes for cats at the Sanctuary and at the kitten nursery.
- Determine and set strategic goals for the Four Directions Community Cat program to ensure that we are achieving the greatest lifesaving impact.
- Handle special admissions requests and supervise the development and implementation of individual behavior or care plans for the cats as needed.
- Collaborate with the local program cities and regional centers on admissions requests; identifying opportunities to strategically work together on animal-related issues as needed to meet organizational goals.
- Responsible for establishing and reviewing department processes and protocols and staff implementation.
- Ensure staff is using proper cat-handling protocols and general safety protocols and is familiar with the evacuation plan for the department.
- Lead and manage staff:
- Work with Recruiter to review applications, interview and select new hires
- Identify and resolve employee relations and performance issues
- Establish and maintain a professional work environment while providing appropriate leadership and direction
- Promote positive morale, creativity and teamwork among staff
- Evaluate employee performance of direct reports and set clear goals and expectations
- Prioritize, assign, and review work assignments.
- Work with the adoption and marketing teams to identify strategies for reducing length of stay (for the adoptable population), increasing adoptions, marketing specific animals, etc.
- Develop and implement innovative programs that will increase our lifesaving capacity.
- Oversee implementation of the onboarding process for new hires in Cat World, the Kitten Nursery and the Community Cat Program. Update as needed.
- Prepare and manage the operational budget and metrics for the Cat Department, including purchasing, reconciliation and forecasting. Oversee the preparation and management of the Kitten Nursery and Four Directions Community Cat Program budgets.
- Work with the Animal Care Director and HR to develop, improve or implement employee engagement and development opportunities.
- Ensure the implementation of exemplary standards in cat care. Educate staff and the public on key aspects of cat care, and work to ensure safe and effective care environments for the various needs of cat at the Sanctuary and in the Kitten Nursery.
- Foster a collaborative work environment within the cat teams as well as with other teams throughout the organization. This includes but is not limited to coordinating with the clinic to improve processes or to collaborate on specific medical cases, working with the Visitor Center on cat related activities or events, working with the marketing and adoptions teams on special projects, etc.
- Identify major maintenance/ repair and capital project needs and provide department representation and oversight through all phases of a project.
- Work with Visitors and Volunteers to monitor, evaluate and improve visitor, volunteer and intern programs. This includes but is not limited to the evaluation of new engagement opportunities, the interviewing, engaging and evaluation of interns, and providing feedback on existing programs.
- Support and encourage the team's participation in outreach, mentorship and sheltering opportunities.
- Keep abreast of concerns and trends in the cat welfare movement and serve as one of the key representatives of the Cat Department as work schedule allows or appoint and mentor appropriate staff to serve as a representative re: public presentations, email correspondence, etc.
- Provide shelters, groups and individuals with consultation and resources on cat behavior and training as work schedule allows or refer them to appropriate staff.
- Responsible for assuring on-call support is available for Sanctuary cats on sleepovers and Sanctuary cat emergencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- This is a leadership position requiring 3 plus years' experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified, with special emphasis on personnel management and knowledge of cats' various physical, emotional and mental characteristics and needs.
- Ability to strategically plan. Experience developing and implementing plans toward organizational goals, keeping in mind the big picture, while ensuring departmental efforts are aligned and in support.
- Must be problem solving, solutions oriented; creative and innovative with the ability and comfort to change directions quickly and as needed.
- Ability to manage change and lead the team through change.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn Microsoft Office, Shelterluv, ADP and other computer programs as needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in team building and staff development preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in various stages of development, each with a unique timeline.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to facilitate group processes as well as develop and influence others.
- Ability to speak professionally and confidently for interviews and presentations for both media and general public.
- Valid Driver's License with access to transportation to travel on organization business. Access to driving records will be needed for insurance purposes.
- Must be able to perform full range of movement: stretching, bending, squatting, climbing, lifting up to 40 lbs, etc.
- Work may be outdoors in variable weather conditions and requires the physical ability to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Ability to travel via various forms of public transportation for organization events including conferences, media events, etc.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.