The Big Data Engineer is responsible for engaging in the design, development and maintenance of the big data platform and solutions at Quicken Loans. This includes the platform host data sets that support various business operations and enable data-driven decisions as well as the analytical solutions that provide visibility and decision support using big data technologies. The Big Data Engineer is responsible for administering a Hadoop cluster, developing data integration solutions, resolving technical issues, and working with Data Scientists, Business Analysts, System Administrators and Data Architects to ensure the platform meets business demands. This team member also ensures that solutions are scalable, include necessary monitoring, and adhere to best practices and guidelines. The Big Data Engineer helps mentor new team members and continues to grow their knowledge of new technologies.
- Develop ELT processes from various data repositories and APIs across the enterprise, ensuring data quality and process efficiency
- Develop data processing scripts using Spark
- Develop relational and NoSQL data models to help conform data to meet users’ needs using Hive and HBase
- Integrate platform into the existing enterprise data warehouse and various operational systems
- Develop administration processes to monitor cluster performance, resource usage, backup and mirroring to ensure a highly available platform
- Address performance and scalability issues in a large-scale data lake environment
- Provide big data platform support and issue resolutions to Data Scientists and fellow engineers
- Master's degree in computer science, software engineering or a closely related field
- 2 years of experience with Hadoop distribution and ecosystem tools such as Hive, Spark, NiFi and Oozie
- 2 years of experience developing batch and streaming ETL processes
- 2 years of experience with relational and NoSQL databases, including modeling and writing complex queries
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, such as Python or Java
- Experience with Linux system administration, scripting and basic network skills
- Excellent communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
Who We Are
We’re America’s largest mortgage lender, closing loans in all 50 states. J.D. Power ranked Quicken Loans “Highest in Customer Satisfaction in Primary Mortgage Origination” for the past nine consecutive years, 2010 – 2018. The company was also ranked highest in the nation for client satisfaction among mortgage servicers by J.D. Power for five consecutive years, 2014 through 2018, each year the company was eligible. There’s a simple reason we’ve been so successful: We care about the people we work with.
If you’re tired of stuffy, bureaucratic workplaces, then you’ll be delighted to find something different here. We strive to make a creative, fun and collaborative environment you simply won’t find anywhere else. Quicken Loans was named #1 in ESSENCE Magazine’s first ever list of “Best Places to Work for African Americans” in 2015. We've been on Computerworld's "Best Places to Work in IT" list for 13 years running, hitting #1 the last five years. We were also ranked #14 in FORTUNE Magazine’s list of "100 Best Companies to Work For" in 2018, remaining in the top-30 for the past 15 years.