The various back office staff in Optometry/Ophthalmology are an integral member of the multi-disciplinary health care team who functions under the supervision of the physician. They assist clinicians, registered nurses, and licensed practical nurses in delivering quality care to patients according to Cigna standards, Arizona Department of Health Services requirements, and OSHA regulations. This position functions as a link between the clinician and the patient by obtaining a thorough patient history, taking vital signs, assisting with coordination of care, and maintaining a positive and efficient patient experience during the office visit. They contribute to the organization's drive to achieve the "Triple Aim": improve the individual care experience; improve quality and the health of Cigna Medical Group's population, and reduce the cost of care for our population.
Clinical Responsibilities and Essential Functions
Performs routine patient care in a professional manner.
- Handles patient back office flow in an efficient manner to accommodate patient needs and expectations of care
- Schedules and reschedules appointments as needed based upon patient preference and convenience
- Completes Pre-authorization and referral process(es)
- Ensures proper coding of ICD-9 and CPT-4 codes by Clinician.
- Ensures all Clinicians orders are completed by appropriate personnel
- Prepares patient to be seen by Clinician, ensuring their comfort and privacy at all times
- Takes vital signs per established protocol.
- Performs accurate chart preparation, including all necessary diagnostic results, consult notes, hospital records
- Obtains patient history
- Updates Medication List
- Collects, labels, and deliver specimens for processing per Clinicians orders .
- Set up, assist, and breakdown exam rooms, for minor office diagnostic and surgical procedures, is able to perform sterile technique.
- Clean and Sterilize instruments per protocol if needed
- Passes and maintains Cigna's medication administration certification.
- Administers medications in accordance with Cigna's policies and procedures.
- Reviews with patients pre-printed instruction sheets and refers needs for further teaching to Clinician or RN.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly
- Communicates physical symptoms verbalized by patients to the Clinician.
- Consults other departments, as needed and as appropriate, to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to patient's needs, e.g., referrals, prior auth, other Clinician offices, PHM, etc.
Performs general office duties
- Ensures that filing, phone calls, and record keeping are complete and properly identified with patient
- Maintains complete accurate documentation in the E H R.
- Documents all encounters following policy and protocol
- Notifies appropriate personnel regarding clinician schedule changes
- Maintains inventory of medical & office supplies and medications for area in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Ensures safe storage of all supplies in the area.
- Updates skills through nursing workshops and continuing education programs
- Attends department Staff Meetings and In-service programs
- Cross trains to new procedures and departments as needed
- Assists in orienting new employees and temporary pool staff to job responsibilities
- NOTE: The above is not intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be and exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate supervisor.
Graduate of approved MA/COA/COT program or graduate of an unapproved program with successful completion of certification examination; graduate of a US Armed Forces medical services program or practicing medical assistant who completed supervision requirements prior to February 2, 2000 ("grandfather clause"). OR Optometry or Ophthalmology Assistant
High school diploma or GED certificate
Prefer one year experience in back office, patient scheduling application experience desirable.
Current BCLS required.
Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. We offer an integrated suite of health services through Cigna, Express Scripts, and our affiliates including medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products. Together, with our 74,000 employees worldwide, we aspire to transform health services, making them more affordable and accessible to millions. Through our unmatched expertise, bold action, fresh ideas and an unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, we are a force of health services innovation.
When you work with Cigna, you'll enjoy meaningful career experiences that enrich people's lives while working together to make the world a healthier place. What difference will you make? To see our culture in action, search #TeamCigna on Instagram.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the online application process, please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com for support. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response.