Join the Maryville Academy Unaccompanied Children�s Shelter and improve the lives of children and families! We have a full time opening for a Recreation Coordinator to work in Chicago and Bartlett.
About Maryville Academy
For more than 130 years, Maryville has been committed to providing protection and guidance to children. As the world has changed, so have the needs of the families and children we serve. Maryville has adapted by focusing on our community�s most critical issues. Today, our range of programs includes residential care, mental health services, healthcare and family support services, as well as a variety of educational and youth development offerings. Maryville�s mission is to help children and families to reach their fullest potential by empowering intellectual, spiritual, moral and emotional growth.
About the Unaccompanied Children�s Shelter
The Unaccompanied Children�s Shelter is home to adolescent boys and girls through the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR). This program provides a safe setting for children during their first days in America until a permanent setting can be established for them.
About the Recreation Coordinator position:
The Recreation Coordinator is a full-time position and reports to the Assistant Program Director. The Recreation Coordinator, in consultation with the Assistant Program Director and educational staff of the program, will develop and implement a recreational curriculum adapted for Spanish-speaking boys and girls in a residential shelter. The Recreation Coordinator will teach staff and children games, sports and recreational techniques, and lead physical exercise. The Recreation Coordinator is also responsible to teach safe warm-up activities, principles and practices of sportsmanship, and safety measures for indoor and outdoor sports. The Recreation Coordinator is a grant position related solely to the Unaccompanied Children�s Shelter as funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement and any successor funding.
- Develops and implements recreational teaching curriculum with lesson plans, adapted to the conditions of residents of Maryville Unaccompanied Children Shelters. This curriculum will be implemented in the school as well as in after-school residential care;
- Leads recreational activities with children on both campuses on a rotating basis and according to schedules and lesson plans;
- Leads training of residential and educational staff on sportsmanship, safety rules, sports and games, motivational techniques and exercise;
- Provides training to staff and children on prevention of injuries;
- Documents all recreational activities led by recreation specialist or the staff he/she has trained;
- Serves as a referee or arbiter for sports activities, including, but not limited to, soccer;
- Plans and executes at least four sports-related field trips per year; may be asked to attend or lead additional field trips;
- Organizes cross-campus games and events, as appropriate to the population;
- Attends weekly Treatment Team meetings on both campuses;
- Collaborates with Maryville or external medical staff in the case of an emergency or injury;
- Designs special activities for children with physical limitations;
- Implements the Maryville�s policy on Zero Tolerance to Sexual Abuse;
- Implements all emergency routines and procedures as necessary;
- Oversees sports equipment and proper use and storage;
- Reports and communicates all concerns to supervisor;
- Assures that all activities are conducted with appropriate precautions taken for the safety of the participants;
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree in physical education or related field from an accredited university program;
- At least three years of experience in leading recreational services to children and adolescent population;
- Coaching license from an Illinois sports association;
- Successful completion of all staff education requirements including: Pre-Service training, NCI, CPR, and ARC Model;
- Must possess a valid driver�s license;
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Bilingual English/Spanish language competency required;
- Knowledge of best practices in recreational activities including development, implementation, and evaluation of recreational curriculum;
- Knowledge of the rules and fundamentals of soccer and other sports activities;
- Knowledge of child development, particularly of adolescents;
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in stressful situations;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to children as well as to colleagues;
- Ability to establish trust and positive rapport with children, and work within ethical boundaries;
- Ability to effectively prioritize job duties and needs of the children;
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel) and documentation programs;
- Ability to drive a passenger van.
- Required to sit, stand, walk, bend, and drive for extended periods of time; ability to walk up and down stairs;
- Ability to safely participate in recreation activities with the children, including but not limited to, warming-up exercises, sports and other recreational activities including running, jumping, pivoting, reaching, lifting and pushing/pulling objects.
- Required to lift/move objects and/or youth weighing in excess of 40 pounds;
- Must possess ability to provide physical restraint to youth;
- Must have the visual, hearing, and learning capabilities sufficient to perform the essential job functions defined above.
Environment and Scheduling:
- Will perform work primarily in, and in association with, Maryville program settings;
- Must be flexible and available to work additional hours when necessary;
- May be scheduled to work on weekends and/or holidays.
- Duties involve contact with youth who may be traumatized;
- 24 hour on-call responsibilities;
- May be scheduled to work on weekends and/or holidays.
Why Join the Maryville Family?
Maryville offers all full-time employees:
- PPO health insurance options
- Vision Insurance
- Dental insurance (after one year of service)
- FSA and HSA
- Paid vacation and sick days
- 9 paid holidays a year
- Long Term Disability and Life Insurance (after one year of service)
- Tuition reimbursement (after one year of service)
For more information about all of the services that Maryville provides, please visit our website at www.maryvilleacademy.org.
Please complete the application at the links above and below along with your cover letter and resume.
Maryville Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No applicant for employment shall be discriminated against because of age, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, veteran status or disability.