Join the Maryville Academy Unaccompanied Children’s Shelter and improve the lives of children and families! We have a full time opening for a Bilingual Teacher.
About Maryville Academy
For more than 130 years, Maryville has been committed to providing protection and guidance to children. As the world has changed, so have the needs of the families and children we serve. Maryville has adapted by focusing on our community’s most critical issues. Today, our range of programs includes residential care, mental health services, healthcare and family support services, as well as a variety of educational and youth development offerings. Maryville’s mission is to help children and families to reach their fullest potential by empowering intellectual, spiritual, moral and emotional growth.
About the Unaccompanied Children’s Shelter
The Unaccompanied Children’s Shelter is home to adolescent girls and boys through the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR). This program provides a safe setting for children during their first days in America until a permanent setting can be established for them.
About the Teacher Position
Leads classroom instruction. Responsible for the supervision and coordination of the classroom environment, including students and instructional assistants. Develops and actualizes school curriculum within self-contained classroom environment. Shelter Teacher is a grant position related solely to the Unaccompanied Children’s Shelter as funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement and any successor funding.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with colleagues, consultants, therapists, and administrators.
- Maintains the required educational certifications and training required of all Maryville Academy employees.
- Participates and contributes to in-service trainings and staff development opportunities and providing input and suggestions for future topics and directions.
- Interacts with students in a supportive, professional manner.
- Documents all progress and completion of student work in a timely manner.
- Maintains appropriate confidentiality regarding all information about students.
- Keeps materials and assigned space in a neat and orderly condition.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Must have current State of Illinois Professional Educator License.
- A Bachelor's Degree, Master’s Degree preferred, in Education from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of 1-2 years’ experience teaching
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with students, supervisors, coworkers, subordinates, support agencies, and a variety of internal as well as external consumers.
- Basic computer proficiency including working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing workloads to meet deadlines.
- Required to frequently sit, stand, bend, stoop, walk and drive for extended periods. Ability to walk up and down stairs.
- Required to occasionally lift/move objects and/or youth weighing in excess of 40 pounds.
- Must possess the ability to provide physical restraint for students threatening to harm themselves or others.
- Must have the visual, hearing, and learning capabilities sufficient to perform the essential functions defined above.
Environment and Scheduling
- Work is performed during school program days and hours.
- Work is performed in classrooms settings and in an administrative office setting.
- Duties involve contact with students who may be traumatized.
- This position my be located at either the Maryville Bartlett or Des Plaines Campus.
Why Join the Maryville Family?
Maryville offers all full-time employees:
- PPO health insurance options
- Vision Insurance
- Dental insurance (after one year of service)
- FSA and HSA
- Paid vacation and sick days
- 9 paid holidays a year
- Long Term Disability and Life Insurance (after one year of service)
- Tuition reimbursement (after one year of service)
For more information about all of the services that Maryville provides, please visit our website at www.maryvilleacademy.org.
Please complete the application at the links above and below along with your cover letter and resume.
Maryville Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No applicant for employment shall be discriminated against because of age, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, veteran status or disability.