Bioinformatics Associate, Silver Springs, MD, US ID# 18019
Cherokee Nation Technology Solutions (CNTS) provides technical support services and project support personnel to its defense and civilian agency clients. CNTS specializes in locating hard to find candidates for rapid response requests throughout the country. It provides a tailored management approach for complex government programs and disciplines including information technology, science, engineering, construction, research & development, facilities management, program management, and mission support. Wholly owned by the Cherokee Nation, CNTS is part of the Cherokee Nation Businesses family of companies.
Our client's mission is to conduct biomedical research that delivers life-saving products including knowledge, technology, and medical materiel. Their efforts include the development of medical countermeasures capable of protecting and sustaining the health of the men and women of the U.S. military.
Their focus is on understanding the infectious diseases threatening the Fighting Force both domestically and abroad. The research programs include: dengue, influenza, and adenovirus infections and other emerging and re-emerging viral diseases such as chikungunya virus and hepatitis C virus, etc. Infectious disease syndromes caused by existing, emerging, or re-emerging viral pathogens, not otherwise identified, is also an area of research. Once specific threats have been determined, they work on those identified threats along a scientific continuum including epidemiologic disease surveillance and sample collection, basic and exploratory science, translational research, and product research and development. The intent is to license (as applicable) and field medical countermeasures and medical solutions designed to eliminate or mitigate these threats in the most safe, expeditious, cost effective, and high quality manner possible.
We are seeking a bright, inquisitive Bioinformatics Associate to join our team in a U.S. government viral disease research and vaccine development facility. If you are motivated, with a solid scientific or computational training background and are a quick learner, extremely flexible and able to adapt, this is the place for you! Our ideal candidate will be analytical and detail-oriented with the ability to infer the big picture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following (Other duties may be assigned):
- Assist researchers in processing and analyzing high throughput sequenced samples run through established pipelines.
- Develop reports for institutional collaborators and assist in developing new pipelines of analysis
- Process data
- Help maintain sample/project management database
- Knowledge in virology research is helpful
- Maintain and update data infrastructure
- Curate and assemble viral genomic sequences
- Perform pathogen discovery bioinformatics analyses
- Conduct rudimentary phylogenetic analyses
- Communicate results via reports and presentations
- Conduct training for new bioinformatics team members
- Collaborate with sequencing, system administration, and bioinformatics team
Position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Masters in Bioinformatics or related degree with extensive practical experience.
- Experience and high comfort level with Linux environment
- Experience with biological concepts and data analysis
- Familiarity with programming languages or statistic programming
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent communication skills
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of high throughput sequencing technologies and techniques, (MiSeq/NovaSeq, MinION)
- Experience in designing and contributing to scientific projects in virology or microbiology, preferably in infectious diseases
- Experience and knowledge of viral or microbial genetic, phylogenetic and evolutionary sequence analyses and their associated tools
- Experience in scientific and technical writing as well as data presentation and publication in scientific journals is a plus
- Experience in large dataset analyses and interpretation
- Knowledge of bioinformatics, computational biology and/or statistics in relation to viral/microbial evolution and genetics
- Knowledge of genome assembly tools
- Proficiency at the intermediate or expert level using Linux/UNIX systems
- Laboratory experience or knowledge of pathogen laboratory techniques including sequencing and immunological assays
- Experience teaching and communicating bioinformatics research and analyses with focus on pathogen phylogenetics and evolutionary processes
- Knowledge of pathogen discovery and metagenomic tools
These duties occur in an office setting.
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements.
About Cherokee Federal
With $400 million in annual revenue, 20% growth per year, approximately 950+ active contracts serving 60+ government agencies in 25 countries, 47 states, 2 territories and 2000+ employees, Cherokee Nation Businesses' (CNB) group of Federal Contracting Section 8(a) companies is well positioned to deliver expertise needed to solve complex technical issues. Federal Solutions provides an array of services for 12 of the 15 cabinet-level departments and agencies - from applications and data services to cybersecurity and national defense.
Why consider Cherokee Nation and our Federal Solutions business? Here are some great resources highlighting what we do and compelling reasons for joining our team!
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please copy and paste the links to the following two sites: EEO Statement | EEO Poster
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may email "CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com" for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.
For Pay Transparency Non Discrimination provision, please copy and paste the following link : Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
We maintain an Affirmative Action Plan for the purpose of proactively seeking employment and advancement for qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Upon request, we will schedule time to make our Affirmative Action Plan accessible. If you are interested, please submit a written request with the email subject line: 2018 Request to View Affirmative Action Plan to the Compliance Administrator at "CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com" This email box is not for resumes or follow up on job applications.