The Jacksonville Lighthouse Charter SchoolBoard of Directors is currently seeking a new member(s) of the board. Please submit your information for consideration.
We are seeking individuals who are committed to making a difference in the lives of our scholars through their time, skill sets, and level of influence in the community.
A Board Member’s primary responsibility is to ensure that the academic program of the school is successful, that the school's programs and operation are faithful to the terms of its charter, and that the school is a financially viable organization.A Board Member’s actions must always be aligned with our mission, vision, core values and education program.
The essential functions for the Board of Directors are as follows:
- Strategic Oversight:Through the charter application the Board adopts and upholds the Lighthouse Academies mission and vision for the school.
- Operational Oversight:Oversees the operations of the school, while delegating day-to-day operational authority to LHA.
- Financial Oversight:The Board ensures that the school remains a financially viable entity by overseeing the school’s financial condition.
- Personnel:The Board approves all employment compensation at the school, including benefits through approval of the annual budget.
- Contracts:The Board, in consultation Lighthouse Academies, approves all major contracts.
- ConsultantSupport:Board members use their individual skills, knowledge, expertise and/or community relationships to support the school.
- CommunityRelationships:Board members act as advocates and representatives of the school in creating and maintaining relationships with the community and other stakeholders.
Board Member responsibilities are as follows:
- Regularly prepares for and attends monthly meetings.
- Participates on at least one subcommittee of the Board.
- Works cooperatively with fellow Trustees to complete the Board’s work in a timely manner.
- Ensures that her or his participation contributes to the effective operation of the Board and the success of the school by:
oFocusing exclusively on the best interests of the Board and the school rather than on any personal or other agenda.
oMaintaining objectivity in all deliberations.
oSupporting all Board decisions once they are made.
oParticipating in honest evaluations of one’s own performance and that of the Board.
- Attends Board training workshops.
- Provides the Board and the school with advice and technical assistance in her or his individual areas of expertise.
- Acts as an advocate and representative of the school in creating and maintaining relationships with the school’s families, the community, governmental bodies and financial supporters.
A Lighthouse Academy (LHA) Board Member is more than a community volunteer. This person’s work supports the vision that all of our students will achieve high levels of academic success resulting in the creation of opportunities for a brighter future.A Board Member makes the commitment to work and lead with determination, integrity and purpose, and embodies these essential qualities:
- Passionate with an unwavering commitment to the school’s mission.
- Has a shared vision for the school and the steps required to realize that vision.
- Expects that all children can and will realize high levels of academic achievement.
- Believes in the Lighthouse Academies school design and curriculum as the best means of accomplishing the school’s mission and realizing its vision.
- Understands the promises contained in the school’s charter.
- Understands the distinction between the roles and responsibilities of each person and entity involved.
- Willingness to volunteer for one or more Board committees and the ability to contribute appropriate time and energy necessary to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Results-oriented with the ability to work within a team structure.
- Specific knowledge, experience, and/or interest in at least one element of governance for the School.
- Commitment to a partnership based on mutual trust and respect among the Board, the principal and Lighthouse Academies.