Position Summary: Our Camp AMH Pet Counselors take care of the many dogs and cats we welcome as our guests. This includes walking, feeding, talking to, and playing with them every day per their owners’ requests. They keep a close watch on all pets and notify a doctor if a pet seems to be having a problem. Pet Counselors also insure that our boarding suites and areas are clean and orderly.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Walk all boarded dogs several times a day to provide exercise and time for elimination of bowels and bladder.
- Observe and monitor groups of dogs while in play group and day camp to ensure the safety of pets.
- Determine the type and amount of food animals receive. Apply knowledge of normal food and liquid requirements of animals. As required, provide special foods and liquids.
- Mare sure cages and animals are properly numbered and identified and that personal property (toys, treats, blankets, leashes) are stored in the proper area and identified.
- Make sure each animal has the proper identification (cage card, name tag).
- Observe and monitor animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease, and discontent; communicate with Doctors and Technicians about any abnormalities.
- Make sure all animals are in the correct locations.
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect all suites and cages as often as necessary to ensure no cages or suites are soiled and odors are not apparent. Wash and dry towels and blankets. Wash and sterilize water and food bowls.
- Take charge and/or handle animals as required and restrain hard to control animals; know and use proper restraints and safety techniques when handling the animals.
- Maintain cleanliness of entire pet resort, staff hallway, and hospital grounds.
- Make sure animals are clean and fresh smelling prior to discharge. Perform clean-up bath when necessary.
- Patrol hospital grounds, picking up any trash and stool material. Empty trash.
- Stock each pet resort area with proper cleaning items.
- Dismiss pets.
- Greet every client with a smile; address client and pet by name.
- Bathe pets as needed and assist with cleanliness of bathhouse.
- Report any maintenance issues to the floor leader/manager.
- Give Camp AMH tours.
- Follow AMH procedures manual.
Performance Measurements: Performance will be evaluated at the end of the initial 90 day probationary period. Performance will also be assessed after the completion of six months of employment as well as annually from the date of hire. Performance will be evaluated based upon the following: attendance, punctuality, dependability, job performance, client care, teamwork, and progress of job knowledge.
Working Conditions: Pet Counselors work indoors and outdoors each shift. Pet Counselors must be able to withstand weather conditions including rain, extreme heat, cold, etc. Work often exposes Pet Counselors to unpleasant odors and noises. May be exposed to bites, scratches, and animal waste; may also be exposed to contagious diseases.
Physical Requirements: Pet Counselors must be capable of handling small and large animals without risk of harm to themselves, other employees, clients, or the pet. Pet Counselors must be able to lift up to 40 pounds and withstand repeated bending and lifting.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- Experience: Prior experience is preferred but not required.
- Certifications/Licenses: N/A
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Apply knowledge and skills in controlling/handling individual animal temperament.
- Have ability to gain animal confidence when restraining them for transport, boarding, or treatment.
Availability Needs: Pet Counselors must be available between 6:30 am-8:30pm Sunday through Saturday. Full time and part time position availability requirements may vary.
Reports To: Pet Resort Manager
Positions Supervised: None
Background Checks: Employment in this position is contingent upon successfully passing a background and criminal history check.
Drug Tests: Animal Medical Hospital is a Drug Free Workplace. All potential employees must submit and pass a pre-placement drug test.