CLUBHOUSE MANAGER/ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER PROFILE:
BOCAIRE COUNTRY CLUB
BOCA RATON, FL
Bocaire Country Club (Bocaire) is set among the magnificent backdrop of South Florida’s sunshine and blue skies, in Boca Raton, Florida. Bocaire offers a unique combination of a traditional club with an intimate neighborhood feel. The Club is searching for a new role of Clubhouse Manager/Assistant General Manager (CHM/AGM) to work hand-in-hand with the General Manager to lead this extremely active, year-round, south Florida club.
The new CHM/AGM will manage all aspects of clubhouse operations, striving to provide exceptional services and experiences to the members and guests, as well as acting as the top professional in the absence of the General Manager.
Ideally, the new CHM/AGM will work closely with the highly regarded General Manager for the next few years, ultimately being groomed to be her successor upon retirement. The Club has enjoyed a history of stability and long-term tenure amongst many of its key staff, and the Club has positioned itself well as a unique and highly desirable alternative to the ‘mega-clubs’ surrounding it; this role is intended to provide a further enhancement to the personalization and consistency of services and experiences provided to the membership.
Unlike many other clubs in the area, Bocaire enjoys approximately 80% of its membership being year-round residents; that allows Bocaire to retain a strong, year-round workforce that does not rely on temporary foreign workers like many clubs in the area.
With a focused, “servant hearted” leader in this new role, it is anticipated that the already strong and personalized member experience will be even further enhanced!
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
BOCAIRE COUNTRY CLUB
In an area surrounded by exceptional country clubs, Bocaire strives to provide member and guest experiences unique from the surrounding clubs. Bocaire is a merged HOA and Club with 238 homes and mandatory membership.
The spacious clubhouse is the hub of social gatherings and is the center of community life at Bocaire. Members and guests enjoy impeccable service and exquisite cuisine in their casual or elegant indoor dining facilities in addition to the bistro and courtyard for outdoor dining enjoyment. The membership has approved to fund a Master Plan for the renovation of the recreational facilities within in the next 3-5 years.
In addition to the many dining options and an extensive social calendar, Bocaire features a wide array of entertainment, innovative programs, stimulating card games, and the latest in fitness, golf and tennis events for every level of play.
The recently redesigned, Challenge at Bocaire Country Club is an 18-hole Kipp Schulties designed course that offers several holes that live up to its name. The course possesses several attributes unique to the area and the tee box on the par-three 3rd hole boasts the highest elevation point in the area. Additionally, the course contains 7 sets of tees, making it playable for golfers of all levels and a unique, top-quality practice facility that is second to none while providing members access to the course without any tee times.
BOCAIRE COUNTRY CLUB BY THE NUMBERS:
- Presently, there are approximately 238 members in all categories
- Initiation Fee: $70,000 plus $20,000 Equity (refundable)
- Annual Dues/Assessments, 2019-2020, including HOA: $36,553 Full Equity Member
- Capital Assessment: $230/month; Improvement Assessment: $380/month
- The Club’s operating budget is approximately $9.0M and HOA approximately $1.3M
- Projected Dues volume, 2019-2020: Member, approx. $5.0M; Sponsored Guests, approx. $1.18M
- Food and Beverage revenues are approximately $1.3M with a significant subsidy from dues
- There are approximately 73, full-time year-round employees, 46 part-time year-round employees
CLUBHOUSE MANAGER/ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (CHM/AGM) POSITION OVERVIEW
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEADERSHIP STYLE ATTRIBUTES OF THE CHM/AGM:
- Highly visible to Members and staff in the dining areas of the club during peak dining times listening to their concerns and suggestions, observing, assessing, and evaluating all areas of responsibility and working to implement appropriate and incremental improvements.
- Ultimately responsible to ensure that all member dining and club events are well-conceived and executed. Important life events of Members are frequently celebrated at the Clubhouse and the CHM/AGM will have a critical role in making those events a success, thereby increasing member satisfaction.
- Provides quality leadership in a positive and upbeat manner for the Members, guests, and staff.
- Creates and maintains a first-class ‘friendly and capable’ service culture throughout the property.
- Addresses and resolves all member and guest complaints and suggestions, general service, employee attitude, maintenance, and presentation of the Clubhouse operations, essentially possessing a true ‘obsession with details’ perspective as it relates to presentation and consistent execution of the role.
- Oversees the recruitment, hiring and development of all Clubhouse personnel, pool operations and year-round/seasonal F&B staff, as well as other areas as determined by the General Manager. Oversee and implement a comprehensive and ongoing training program complete with up to date training manuals to ensure exceptional service in all parts of the club’s operation. He/She facilitates annual performance reviews and an overall Performance Management System for each staff member under his/her area of responsibility, ensuring that appropriate accountabilities are in place and that there is a thoughtful staff development program throughout the year.
- Schedules and facilitates weekly F&B team meetings with DRM’s, Chef, and other supervisors to ensure that high standards of food and service excellence are maintained, as well as ensuring that strong collaborative efforts are in place and followed throughout all areas of Bocaire Country Club operation.
- Provides for training and future development of all subordinate managers and supervisors subject to budget approval by the General Manager. ESPECIALLY STRONG TRAINING SKILLS ARE HIGHLY DESIRED IN THIS ROLE.
- Instills the concept of being a “team player” in all employees while continuing to coach, counsel, and evaluate departmental staff and ‘leading by example’ in all that he/she does for Bocaire Country Club.
- Attends board meetings, as well as active involvement and proactive leadership in several of the Club’s committees including House, F & B, and most others.
- Oversees the critically important area of pool operations with a strong focus on security, safety, and appropriate enforcement of rules. Additionally, has direct responsibility for valet, housekeeping, facilities, and other areas as assigned by the General Manager.
- Helps to facilitate a team environment with morale, high ethical standards, and efficient use of resources to position Bocaire Country Club to be a preferred “Employer of Choice” in the greater Boca Raton community.
- Works jointly with the Controller and General Manager to prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for all Clubhouse operations, assists in managing and controlling the operations to attain the desired results, monitoring the budgets as regularly as needed and takes corrective action as necessary to assure the goals are attained.
- Provides input to all Clubhouse personnel regarding annual budgets, capital spending plans, fiscal controls, and operational guidelines.
- Works with Executive Chef to oversee all labor and food costs and maintains them within the constraints of the budget and through close coordination and with approval from the General Manager and Controller.
- Works with Executive Chef to oversee the purchasing, receiving, safekeeping and disbursement of food and beverage, operating supplies, and equipment to maximize quality and profitability.
- Understands and abides by Bocaire Country Club policies and departmental procedures. Suggests changes and may direct the implementation of change to ensure that Bocaire Country Club continues to remain relevant in the expectation and lives of its Members.
- Displays a very hands-on approach and “leads the staff by example.” He/She must be naturally approachable to staff, Members, and guests, and will possess a degree of sophistication and “gravitas” to be able to function effectively with Members and their guests as down to the front line of service and support personnel.
- Oversees the development of social media and member communications ensuring their relevancy to today’s club standards.
- Assures that the Club is run in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
- Develops and maintains Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Clubhouse functions, as well as all other areas of the operation where consistent of effort, presentation and process is critical.
- Disseminates information and coordinate activities between departments on a timely basis.
- Keeps the General Manager informed of all potential problems and activities related to the smooth operation of the Clubhouse and other areas of his/her responsibility.
- Furthers his/her own continued development as a club management professional as a member of CMAA. With the assistance and approval of the General Manager will participate in appropriate seminars/training programs, thereby enhancing his/her value and quality of services to Bocaire Country Club.
- Possesses a sharp eye for detail in the overall management of the operation. Maintains a clean, neat, and organized appearance of the interior and exterior of the Clubhouse.
- Brings a naturally warm and sincere personality, a sense of humor and the ability to work effectively with all levels of the internal staff and Members.
Very strong F & B skills are necessary, as is an intuitively respectful style and mentoring/nurturing/developing approach to staff and team. Bocaire Country Club is a high expectation club operation with multiple operating outlets, with many activities occurring simultaneously; the ability to be able to manage and lead in such an environment in an organized, thoughtful manner is critically important.
Additionally, important are strong verbal and written skills, and a “whatever it takes” approach to accomplish goals, recognizing that Bocaire has a smaller organizational chart and often times cross over of responsibilities is necessary to cover all areas of need.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
A Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Hospitality Management or related fields is helpful, plus a minimum of 3 - 5 years of increasingly more responsible experience in a private club, resort, high-volume hotel, restaurant, or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club, along with the typical CMAA benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefit package, including CMAA membership.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter, in that order, using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Preparing a thoughtful letter of interest and alignment with the above noted expectations and requirements is necessary. Your letter should beaddressed to Ms. Maggie Green, General Manager, and the Search Committee at Bocaire Country Club, and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why Bocaire Country Club and the south Florida area will be beneficial to you, your family, your career, and the Club, if you have the honor of being selected.
You must apply for this role as soon as possible, but no later than Friday, March 6, 2020.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter - Bocaire”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
If you have any questions, please email Patty Sprankle: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Search Partner:
Kurt D. Kuebler, CCM, Partner
561-747-5213 – Jupiter, FL