Columbia Academy, a premier provider of early care and private education throughout Howard County for more than twenty-five years, is in search of an experienced bookkeeper based out of its Corporate Office in the Maple Lawn community of Fulton, Maryland.
Under the general supervision of the Chief Financial Officer and with the guidance of the President, the bookkeeper will be responsible for routine and non-routine accounting processes, cutting checks and processing accounts payable, reconciliations and journal entries as well as banking and reporting functions. This position will also serve as the primary payroll administrator assisting and managing payroll processes. This is a full-time, exempt position with a schedule of Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Additional hours may be required as workload and projects dictate.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Performs all duties in accordance with the policies of Columbia Academy and its proscribed accounting principles along with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Responsible for general ledger accounting, including monthly, quarterly and year-end journal entries, periodic reconciliations of subsidiary ledgers and general ledger accounts, monthly bank reconciliations and asset accounting.
- Responsible for monthly revenue recognition and analysis and implementation of internal controls.
- Works with corporate executive team on development and performance of analytics where needed to ensure accounting and reporting is accurate and timely.
- Processes Accounts Receivable payments as directed.
- Maintains confidentiality of all account, vendor and business-related information at all times.
- Analyzes, prepares and inputs payroll data, typically using automated systems to produce accurate and timely payroll.
- Ensures compliance with all state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Prepares weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports as required for management.
- Performs various journal entries, account reconciliations and provides general ledger support.
- Stays current on payroll systems to achieve alignment with HR benefits and other related requirements to ensure effective accounting support for corporate leadership and employees in the academies.
- Maintains up-to-date, easy to follow desk procedures.
- Assists with vendor or employee inquires.
- Supports other members of the corporate office team when requested.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An Associate�s degree in accounting/finance or business administration required. A Bachelor�s degree is preferred.
- Relevant knowledge of and work experience with accounting and finance standards, concepts, principles and procedures and payroll.
- Knowledge of the Accrual method of accounting.
- Relevant work experience with QuickBooks-online is required.
- Relevant work experience with accounting, finance, payroll and other software systems. Experience and proficiency with Paylocity and the Microsoft Office Suite strongly preferred.
- Ability to project the vision and carry out the mission of Columbia Academy.
- Ability to promote and adhere to internal control best practices and the policies and procedures of the organization.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task in response to fast paced and changing working conditions. Must be organized and able to meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with all vendors, employees, external professionals, including accounting professionals, partners and management.
- Ability to prepare reports and analysis to facilitate management decision making.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to plan, organize, problem-solve and exercise good decision making.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate standard office machines and equipment.
- Strong technical bookkeeping, accounting and payroll background.
We offer strong and competitive benefits to include the following:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Ancillary Insurance Programs
- Company paid life insurance
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Education Assistance and reimbursement
- 401(k) Retirement Savings and Investment Plan with employer match
- Discounted childcare and tuition
Those interested in joining the Columbia Academy family as a bookkeeper are encouraged to apply.