We are The Boston Beer Company. We brew the best beer. We hire the best people.
We are always eager to find competitive, motivated, hardworking people who love beer and want to join our team. We work hard and we play hard. Think you have what it takes?
We are currently hiring a Brewing & Blend Ingredients Manager at the Samuel Adams Pennsylvania Brewery.
This position focuses on the selection and management of critical ingredients for all Boston Beer Company products. Ingredients include those for beer, tea, cider, seltzer, and other new beverages. Individual will participate in the design and implementation of quality sourcing programs for an expanding and evolving menu of BBC ingredients. The focus is on the large and small ingredient streams with priorities given to those with the highest strategic impact. Examples of ingredients include Malt, Hops, Flavors, Apple Juice Concentrate, Sweeteners, Spices, and Fruit Peels. Responsibilities Include participation in the quality evaluation and selection of ingredients, creation of ingredient specifications maximing quality and efficiency of use, building supplier relationships and utilizing industry resources to find new and improved ingredients and technologies, improving the incoming ingredient management process in Boston Beer breweries, improving the age management of materials in storage to ensure Brewing ingredients meet quality standards and specifications, ingredient selection to support new product development needs and current recipe sensory optimization.. This position has a requirement for regular travel, seasonal peaks can be up to 40-50%.
• Participate in site auditing of ingredient and flavor suppliers as requested to ensure ingredients and process meet BBC standards. This will include international and domestic US travel.
• Develop ingredient optimization strategies working with ingredient suppliers and internal BBC project teams.
• Create, Maintain, and optimize ingredient specifications to ensure highest quality, most efficient use, and best functionality and handling. Specification development will include new and existing products and ingredients. Collaboration with brewery operations, NPD, quality, and procurement will be required.
• Assure Boston Beer’s highest standard of quality is being met at ingredient supplier operations as well as in BBC Ingredient receiving, staging and storage phases.
• Work closely with the Quality Department to conduct periodic audits of Ingredient Suppliers to assure BBC standards are being met.
• Build and manage aggressive timelines to ensure projects are on time.
• Develop and maintain BBC corporate brewing standards to provide clear guidance around specific standard operating procedures for technical and operational teams at the host breweries
• Participate in building sound financial justification for Brewing Capital projects, including new technology implementation for quality and/or productivity gains.
• Work in conjunction with Brewing, Operations, Engineering, Brand Development, New Product Development and Procurement to successfully launch new products or programs.
• Build a strong industry network through participation in relevant organizations, conferences and trade shows, supplier interactions and benchmarking visits to breweries as well as ingredient and equipment suppliers.
• Ability to manage several projects concurrently while keeping clear communication across multiple disciplines and sites.
• The successful candidate must be comfortable on the brewing floor and able to directly troubleshoot the entire Brewing operation as it relates to ingredient use.
• Using company business systems, develop tools to enable better data tracking and analysis.
Other Responsibilities: Participate in Brewer training modules related to Brewing Ingredients and Process
• Regular travel, up to 40%-50% International & Domestic Travel Required with seasonality
• The overall nature of the position may require long periods of time on the floor, on your feet.
• Walking for moderate distances: Moving about on foot
• Site visitation of farm fields thru ingredient processing facilities and all areas of the production breweries.
• There is frequent exposure to warehouse/production environments subject to noise and cold/hot temperature changes.
Required: Four Year Degree in Brewing, Chemistry, Engineering, or Food Science
Desired: Formal Brewing Degree or Certification, Malt and/or Hop processing experience
• Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the brewing industry.
• Technically sound brewer, able to do all Brewing functions
• Strong understanding of brewing process or consumer foods packaging required with preference towards craft beer and high-speed bottling and canning.
• Demonstrated project management skills with ability to lead multi-functional teams through in-direct management of people.
• Understanding of quality systems (AIB, HAACP experience a plus)
• Familiarity with business and finance in the brewery and familiarity in reading legal contracts.
• Proven problem solving/conflict resolution skills; can think through issues and arrive at well-thought conclusions.
• Demonstrated ability to be successful in a collaborative team environment.
• Ability to interact and work with all levels within the organization. Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Strong PC skills (Excel skills are necessary, LIMS and Wonderware experience a plus)
Desired: Minimum 10 years Brewery experience
Our people are our most important “ingredient.” We not only have to hire the best, but we have to reward, develop, and retain them too. We also have a variety of benefits including a competitive compensation package, extensive training programs, excellent healthcare, a discounted stock purchase plan, and a 401K program with a generous company match. Not to mention, there’s the free beer too!
Boston Beer Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request accommodation in the job application process can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.