The Budget Analyst advances Bureau for Global Health (GH) priority goals by facilitating effective health program implementation across multiple technical areas and development sectors.
The position plays a key coordination role in planning, analyzing, and improving GH Bureau strategies, policies and operational processes, with particular focus on program management and budget planning. To accomplish these objectives, the Analyst collaborates closely with a wide range of stakeholders from the GH Bureau, USAID regional and pillar bureaus, field missions, the State Department, and other donors and development partners.
The Budget Analyst position is located in the Bureau for Global Health’s Office of Policy, Programs, and Planning (P3).
P3 provides leadership, advice, and support to the GH Bureau on strategic planning, budgeting and resource allocation, financial and program management, and procurement planning.
The office also provides leadership in ensuring the effectiveness of GH programs and the achievement of GH objectives through coordination of the Bureau’s performance monitoring and program evaluation activities.
The P3 Office Director is the USAID POC for the Budget Analyst, who provides strategic and technical guidance on the full range of GH’s policy and programmatic issues.
Note: This is a term limited position for 3 years.
- Providing technical assistance to USAID on program introduction, implementation and/or policy.
- Providing expertise and input on, including assisting with the preparation and/or review of strategies and program plans to address policy and implementation issues at the global level.
- Support preparation of GH’s “Use of Funds” guidance, which provides budget, policy, and legal guidelines to USAID operating units worldwide as they implement global health programs.
- Perform and guide strategic planning and program monitoring tasks as required by the GH Bureau, including supporting the development of Bureau priorities and application of strategic goals to budgets.
- Participate in the development of strategies, plans, program guidance, and dissemination of results for Agency-wide application and incorporation into global health programs.
- Guide the formulation of the GH Bureau's strategic planning guidance and initiate plans for incorporation of this guidance across the Bureau.
- Serving as subject matter expert to USAID and its partners.
- Reviewing and synthesizing information about USAID programs and recommending adjustments in program direction as needed.
- Work with the P3 Office Director and GH technical advisors to identify and track policy issues and priorities that may affect the GH Bureau and draft and present recommendations to GH senior leadership addressing those issues.
- Contribute to the coordination of, and provide recommendations for GH’s process for designing, disseminating, implementing, and assessing new Bureau Operating Procedures that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of GH programming.
- Contributing to the routine work, including providing technical updates, briefers and other documents that describe USAID’s activities, research and progress; preparing portfolio reviews and reports; reviewing documents such as annual reports and operational plans; and preparing responses to Q&As and other requests for information.
- Support the P3 Sr. Budget Analyst by analyzing GH financial and performance data to inform budget planning, including assisting in activities such as supporting the development of funding scenarios and recommendations, engaging with USAID staff to assist in defining and identifying the resources required to implement effective programs, and assist in preparing and reviewing responses to Congressional requests for budget and program information.
- Help coordinate the submission of the Global Health Operational Plan and bureau-wide review of Mission Health Implementation Plans.
- Support senior-level decision-making by planning for GH portfolio reviews, including developing guidance, analyzing bureau-wide data on programmatic and financial performance, reviewing submissions by technical offices for accuracy and consistency with guidance, and developing a plan to identify issues and follow-up.
- Assisting countries in developing their capacity to plan management activities.
- Provide support and guidance to other headquarters Bureaus and Missions in designing, monitoring and analyzing global health policies, strategies, and programs.
- Providing technical advice to ensure that country programs are consistent with current practice, international standards and recommendations.
- Other tasks or responsibilities may evolve based on organizational and programming needs. For example, P3 encourages all staff to participate on GH Country Support teams, technical working groups in areas of interest, cross-Agency task teams, and other opportunities that are relevant to the position and/or office.
- Participating in professional continuing education, skills training and professional meetings to enhance relevant technical skills and career development.
- Completing and executing an Individual Learning and Training Plan and Annual Work Plan.
- Master’s degree and 5 years or Bachelor’s degree and 7 years relevant experience and higher in public health, international development, Finance or a related field.
- At least 5 years of professional experience with two or more technical disciplines (such as, public health, international development, budget development, financial data analysis, etc.); job duties/responsibilities generally related to PD requirements.
- Experience working within complex programs with multiple partners.
- Strong oral and written communications skills and the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals is required.
- Must possess the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior leaderships, clients & customers.
- US Citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain secret security clearance required.