Building Automation Technician
Salary Grade LE
REPORTS TO: Supervisor – Energy Manager
Position Term: 12 months
An individual in this class supports and maintains Maintenance Division building automation equipment, software, and related systems. This work includes monitoring and repair of all DDC controls, security camera networks and maintenance office networks. Employee provides on-site assistance to HVAC technicians, security camera technicians, Energy Manager, and maintenance offices. Employee installs and upgrades all technology related equipment in network and stand-alone environments. Typically, this employee will provide first response support from the system level for the maintenance and operation of computer, software, and networks at the building level. Employee will have multiple sites to maintain. Complex problems are referred to next level support or contract vendors.
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
- Studies building system design, as-built blueprints, HVAC systems diagrams, technical specifications, security camera networks and system configurations. Tests component and system performance to determine the need for adjustment or repair; develops methods to resolve performance problems in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
- Inspects systems to verify system compliance with plans and specifications and to detect malfunctions in system component parts.
- Ensures the maintenance of all related computers, software, and peripherals by monitoring performance.
- Installs upgrades to hardware and software.
- Reads and interprets schematics, wiring diagrams, and manuals.
- Operates standard and specialized electronics devices in testing and troubleshooting computers and other technology-related equipment.
Illustrative Examples of Work:
- Maintains, inspects, and repairs pneumatic, security camera networks and electronics, electric and DDC HVAC system controls.
- Enter schedules and troubleshoot DDC controls
- Plans and schedules installation and repair operation for systems.
- Provide direct user support to department employees.
- Establish and test equipment/environments being considered for implementation.
- Perform duties of running network cables from MDF/IDFs to designated locations. Also responsible for termination of the network cables according to IEEE standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of computers and related technologies.
- General knowledge of components of local area networks.
- General knowledge of, or ability to learn, HVAC controls
- General knowledge of, or ability to learn, security equipment and cameras
- Understanding of mechanical, electronic, and computer principles as applied to the repair and maintenance of computers and peripherals.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of technology users.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of all software applications running within the WS/FCS computing environment.
- Ability to detect by inspection broken or worn parts.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret service manuals and schematics drawings.
- Ability to operate fleet vehicles safely.
- Ability to maintain accurately routine records.
- Ability to report to Supervisor and perform related tasks and duties as required.
- Ability to work occasional scheduled overtime, and be available for emergency overtime when the need arises by responding to after-hours emergencies, which may include weekends and holidays.
- Ability to exercise the physical strength and agility necessary to perform job tasks, which may include occasional lifting up to 75 lbs.
Desirable Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Four years of experience in the trade which may include an apprenticeship and/or applicable vocational training and should include some experience in the HVAC or Electrical trade as a service or maintenance technician with a minimum of two years automated system controls-related experience or equivalent formal training in automated systems controls operations; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license. Ability to pass pre-employment screening.
Salary Grade LE