Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- This posting is listing 3 different positions.
Building Inspector Level 1 $26.00 - $34.66
Building Inspector Level 2 $26.00 - $34.66
Building Inspector Level 3 $28.70 - $41.59
**Depends on qualification and certifications**
***An Electricians License is Required. If you do not have one, your application will not be reviewed at this time. ***
$500 on hire and $500 after successfully
completing a 6-month probationary period
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect,Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The City of Aurora Building Division is a division of Public Works. The Building Division has three primary areas. The Permit Center Building Plans Review and Building Inspections. Our Staff is dedicated to providing our customers with exceptional project services in the areas of building plan review, permits, and inspections. Our goal is to ensure safe buildings and properties for our citizens through a collaborative working relationship with our construction partners.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Building Inspector Level 1-3
- Performs building inspections to ensure compliance with City code
- Records results of inspections
- Performs related public contact requirements verbally, in writing, by a computer, or over the telephone
- Provide options to pass inspections; schedules and coordinates routes and re-inspection
- Attends meetings and confers with the public
- Investigate complaints and variance issues
- Maintains complex filing systems
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- (Level 2)Performs complex building inspections to ensure compliance with City code
- (Level 2)May act as a lead worker; investigates complaints and variance issues; maintains complex filing systems; and performs additional duties as assigned.
- (Level 3)Performs complex multi-disciplined building inspections to ensure compliance with the City code
- (Level 3)Performs lead worker duties; investigates complaints and variance issues, and performs special projects and additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- (Level 1)High School Diploma or GED. Journeyman or Masters Electrician license is required.
- (Level 2)High School Diploma. Completion of construction management or equivalent vocational program in at least two (2) of the following area is required: Electrical; the preferred areas are: Plumbing, Mechanical, Building, or Life Safety.
- (Level 3)Associate's Degree in construction management or equivalent vocational program in at least three (3) of the following areas: Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, Building, or Life Safety
- (Level 1)At least 2 years progressively responsible work experience in a certified area of inspection work and associated trade.
- (Level 2)At least 3 years progressively responsible work experience in construction or area of certification.
- (Level 3)At least 4 years progressively responsible work experience for a comparable municipal jurisdiction in the area of primary education/certification as noted above including at least 1 year of a lead worker or supervisory experience.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of design, construction, and function of plumbing, electrical, mechanical, structural, equipment and systems, and life safety
- Municipal building codes and enforcement
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Provide technical advice to builders, contractors, City employees, and the general public
- Coordinate special projects and workload leveling with employees and departments for inspections
- Conduct inspections and render an objective and impartial decision
- Read, interpret, and apply construction codes, blueprints, work plans, and maps in assigned specialty area(s)
- Ability to work overtime, evenings, weekends, and holidays as required
- Skill in providing technical advice in a specialized construction trade area
- Communicate verbally and in writing with building contractors, landowners, developers, and the general public regarding building inspections
- (Level 1)at least One (1) of the following Certification:
- (Level 2)at least Two(2) of the following Certification:
- (Level 3)at least Three (3) of the following Certification:
ICC Commercial Building Inspector; Colorado Journeyman or Master Electrician's License; ICC Commercial Mechanical Inspector; ICC Commercial & Residential Plumbing Inspector or State of Colorado Licensed Plumber, Colorado State Fire Suppression Certification and/or ICC Fire Code I&II and ability to obtain Colorado state certification
- Possess a Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Regular walking and standing
- Full range of body movements including pushing, pulling, climbing and crawling; hand/foot/eye coordination to operate motor vehicle
- Frequent hearing and speech communication with employees, contractors, and citizens; vision to read plans, specifications, and other information.
- Works in- and outdoors in all weather conditions
- Walks over all types of terrain and in construction sites with some exposure to dust, noise, and construction hazards.
- Operates a motor vehicle; ladder; personal computer; calculator, computer; and equipment/tools appropriate to the function of this job
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.