Teachers at GEMS are educational leaders who understand the innovative and international nature of a 21st Century curricula. The foundation for our curriculum is a blend of an international program of studies and GEMS Education's core values—Global Citizenship, The Pursuit of Excellence, Leadership through Innovation and Growing by Learning. An IB-inspired school, GEMS uses the city of Chicago as our extended schoolhouse for our extensive field studies program and our internationally focused curricula. We understand the profound potential that technology provides, and use it powerfully in our inquiry-based model of teaching and learning.
We are seeking a Substitute Teacher with experience in K-5 who is looking to grow intellectually and professionally. Our teachers collaborate to create a learning community focused on creating independent learners who have the critical thinking skills, initiative, persistence and experience to thrive. We support our teachers in expanding their skills through partnerships and exchanges with international institutions and universities. Our emphasis on professional development attracts the highest caliber of teachers and staff and yields the best possible academic results.
- Minimum of three years’ of related experience
- A Masters degree preferred but not required
- Significant experience developing integrated, inquiry-based, constructivist curricula
- Familiarity with a wide range of teaching approaches and strategies
- Experience in an integrated core International Baccalaureate curriculum/classroom
- A deep understanding of child development
- An understanding of the importance of a partnership with families
- Skillful in the integration of one-to-one technology throughout the curricula