JOB TITLE: BUS AIDE
REPORTS TO: Transportation Director
FLSA STATUS/CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt; Level 1
SUPERVISORY DUTIES: None
APPROVED ON: xx/xx/2014
SUMMARY: Assists the bus driver by providing for the safety of children transported on the bus, accommodating the needs of all passengers (including those with special needs) to ensure students and other official passengers are transported safely and efficiently to and from school and other school-related events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with the transport of passengers (students, teachers, parents, etc.) to and from school and other district sanctioned events
- Operates wheelchair lift, and loads and unloads and safely secures passengers confined to wheelchairs, when applicable; secures all wheelchairs as necessary for children with special needs
- Assists with putting seat belts on children
- Assists children on and off the bus
- Ensures that passengers remain seated at all times
- Helps ensure that students are delivered to proper drop-off points.
- Determines that students are met by designated parent or guardian
- Demonstrates and explains emergency evacuation procedures to passengers in accordance with Transportation Safety Training
- May assist driver with maintaining MIPS paperwork
- Observes all mandatory safety regulations for school buses
- Communicates with teachers, principal, monitors and other officials
- Helps maintain order and discipline of students and other passengers on bus per prescribed policies, assist in the preparation of conduct reports
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to operate a wheel chair lift
- Ability to use two-way communication equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with staff, students, parents and community members
- Knowledge of applicable Federal and State laws, district procedures and Board policies
- Ability to handle confrontation and conflict without an emotional response
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Blood Borne Pathogen Orientation
- CPR and First Aid Certification required
- Safety Training and Wheelchair Lift Training
Computer Proficiency: None
PHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb, sit, stand, bend, walk and operate mechanical controls. The employee would be required to lift up to 30 pounds safely and drag 125 lbs. 30 feet in 30 seconds.
Indoors and outdoors, with exposure to all weather conditions and temperatures. Exposure to all types of traffic conditions. Exposure to noise, dust, gas and fumes. The noise level in the work environment is generally moderate and may become excessively noisy at times. Contact with employees, students and public.
Disclaimer:The duties and responsibilities identified in this position description are illustrative only and are in no way intended to be a complete list of activities that may be required of an incumbent. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.