School Year: 2020-2021
Contract: 182 Days
Reports to: Transportation Supervisor
Position is open until filled.
To transport students to and from designated stops while maintaining a safe environment. To provide appropriate transportation for students in accordance with the policies of Barnwell School District 45, the State Department of Education and the SC Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Immediately report any bus malfunctions or needed repairs as soon as they are identified to the transportation supervisor or designee.
- Immediately report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations, using district telephones or mobile two-way radios to the transportation supervisor or designee.
- Drive gasoline and/or diesel powered multi-passenger vehicles to transport students between neighborhoods, schools, and school activities.
- Check the condition of bus tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in working order as scheduled or directed.
- Comply with traffic regulations in order to operate school buses in a safe and courteous manner.
- Follow safety rules as students are boarding and exiting buses, and as they cross streets near bus stops.
- Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.
- Keep bus interiors clean for passengers.
- Conduct interior bus inspections before and after every scheduled route/trip.
- Attend training and transportation planning sessions as requested and required.
- Maintain order among students during trips, in order to ensure safety. Ensure all passengers are following safety procedures and district polices. Report violations as directed.
- Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, mileage, fuel consumption.
- Ensure all students assigned to your bus receive bus rules and policies in writing. Review bus rules and policies at the beginning of the school year and periodically throughout the school year with all students assigned to your bus.
- Must have the ability to complete state mandated route descriptions during normal working hours.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by administration/supervisor.
- High School Diploma or equivalence.
- Experience as a school bus driver or driver of other large vehicle, along with successful completion of the Bus Driver Training Course preferred.
- Valid South Carolina Commercial Driver License w/ Passenger Endorsements and verification of an acceptable driving record through the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Knowledge of equipment and technology as related to specific job functions.
- Ability to meet/pass physical examination and drug screening.
- Excellent driving record/history.
- Clear criminal background report.
References: Please be sure to provide references that can attest to your ability to perform the duties listed in the job description and for the position in which you are applying. References should include, but are not limited to, previous supervisors/managers, colleagues, current or previous instructors, current principal or assistant principal, etc. When providing references please include a current and valid email address for each reference. All applicants must provide 3 references. Immediately upon your application submission, your references will be emailed a reference request.