06 - Transportation/Bus Driver
Southeast Bus Terminal
Austin Independent School District
This position requires ten (10) to twelve (12) years of school, or equivalent with specialized training. Incumbent must be certified as per the following: Commercial Driver’s License (CDL-B), Texas School Bus Driver Training course (all kept renewed and current), Austin ISD Training Program for School Bus Drivers, Bus Driver Annual Physical Examination, and Texas Education Agency Motor Vehicle Record check. Employees in this position are subject to random drug testing.
This position requires knowledge of motor vehicle laws, and Austin ISD Transportation Department policies and procedures. Incumbent must be able to read and write. Incumbent must have effective work habits, and be able to communicate verbally and in writing with staff, school officials, student, parents, and the general public to encourage cooperation and respect.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Incumbent provides safe, efficient transportation for students to and from their respective schools. Incumbent performs as a regular or substitute school bus driver.
- Operates vehicle in a safe and efficient manner.
- Identifies by name students riding the bus.
- Drives all routes exactly as designated in writing and requests necessary changes.
- Identifies and reports to terminal supervisors students involved in disciplinary situations.
- Performs basic checkout and emergency procedures.
- Provides staff with reports as requested.
- Completes written reports and discusses with Supervisor all accidents, vehicle damage, and student injury situations.
- Regularly requests all vehicle maintenance and repair.
- Attends in-service training programs and annual driver workshop.
- Instruct students on bus riding rules and regulations.
- Must maintain good attendance record.
- Provide assistance to exceptional children (e.g., operate wheelchair lift, secure wheelchairs).
- Maintain a clean bus and report all mechanical issues.
- Must perform pre-trip/post-trip inspection of the bus including looking for students possibly left behind at the end of each trip.
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed on a school bus with considerable interfering noise levels. Conditions include fumes, cold, heat, temperature changes, dirt, dust, dampness, glare, dark, and drafts. Hazards are traffic accidents, burns, shocks, cuts, and crushed fingers. Incumbent must be able to lift upwards of twenty (20) pounds in order to open and close the bus hood as necessary. Incumbent will be required to bend down or squat in order to look under the bus as necessary, as well as climbing onto bumpers to check under the bus hood and be able to perform all other physical tasks associated with pre and post trip bus inspections. Incumbent must also be able to make a twisting and turning motion with their arm(s), in order to open and close bus doors and be able to perform an emergency evacuation which requires walking to the back of the bus and exiting through emergency doors. This position may involve possible exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position reports directly to the Supervisor of School Bus Operations, and has no direct supervision over other employees. Incumbent will provide guidance to Austin ISD Transportation Department, school principals and staff, parents and students, and the general public.
Pay Grade: BD
Starting Salary: $17.00/Hr
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Employee Discount Program
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer