Plainwell Community Schools - website
HOURS OF SHIFT: Drive Bus: 6:00 A.M. to 8:30 A.M. Split Shift 2:15 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Custodial Position will be scheduled as needed between. Normally done by 8:00 P.M. Summer & Winter Hours will vary for the needs of the district.
SUMMARY: District wide Custodian/Bus Driver is responsible for day to day maintenance safety, security of the District Facilities. Also, for the safety and operations of a School Bus on a day to day basis. This position will drive a regular daily route for A.M. and P.M. routes during the school year. Will then finish day with custodial work. When driving bus is not needed, this position will work an 8 hour shift as a custodian.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and or ability required.
Education/Experience: High School Diploma or GED. Experience working in a school setting a plus. Licensed Bus Driver with Air Brake preferred. Will Consider training.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems. Ability to interpret variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
Attendance: Must have an excellent attendance record.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to pass a district written and physical exam. Ability to establish and maintain professional, effective working relationships with students, staff and the community. Must have a work history of excellent interpersonal skills with staff, students and community. Must be able to perform all the duties of a custodian. Must be able to have or obtain the required licenses to be a bus driver, Commercial Drivers License with a B.P.S. with air brake, and pass all drug and alcohol test and DOT physical. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies. Must be computer literate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms such as to operate vibrating machinery. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climb on to ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, scaffolds, and cabinets. Specific vision abilities required by the job includes close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors and will occasionally work outdoors. The employee will work near or with moving mechanical equipment. The employee may occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee must be able to meet deadlines. Frequently the employee will work alone and must be a self-starter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintain excellent personal hygiene.
• Possesses and maintains an excellent attendance record.
• Maintain professional communication at all times with Building Administrators, staff and students
• Cooperate and communicate with the Building Administrator and with staff to properly maintain the physical plant in a sanitary, safe and functional condition. Contribute to a team effort with the custodial staff.
• Perform daily custodial, maintenance and grounds tasks according to an approved work schedule.
• Develop knowledge of cleaning methods for different areas of the building and for different types of cleaning surfaces.
• Repair on all areas assigned.
• Requisition custodial supplies for the building, make cost-saving suggestions to the director or facilities in terms of supply and equipment purchases. Monitor equipment and make necessary minor repairs as needed. Order equipment and make necessary minor repairs as needed. Order equipment as needed.
• Schedule with Building Custodial winter break, spring and summer cleaning.
• Promote a professional working relationship with the district’s employee/students and the community.
• Maintain daily work orders as required.
• Must possess and maintain a commercial driver’s license with B.P.S., air brake endorsement and D.O.T. physical at all times to be able to drive a School Bus.
• Be able to perform all duties of the bus driver and custodial positions per SEIU agreements
• Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned
STARTING DATE: As directed by the Director of Operations
SALARY: In accordance with Service Employee International Union (SEIU) Agreement
Bus Driver: $16.50 to $19.66 Depending on Bus Driving Experience
Custodian: $16.28 to $17.01 Depending on Work Experience