I. General Description:
This position operates and maintains buses for the purpose of transporting students and other persons in a safe manner from home to school and back, and to and from educational activities.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Related experience and/or training (preferred)
Must possess a valid Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance card
- Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona commercial driver’s license with passenger and air brake endorsements.
- Must possess skill in the operation of school bus and bus equipment.
- Must understand and comply with all traffic laws.
- Must have exemplary driving record and proof must be obtained from the Motor Vehicle Records annually.
- Must maintain an exceptionally clean, accident-free driving history.
- Must possess First Aid certification and CPR training.
- Must pass a physical examination annually and possess a Department of Transportation health card.
- Must successfully pass a drug screen urinalysis annually or as requested.
- Must possess an Arizona School Bus Driver Certificate by meeting state requirements and standards.
- Must be able to push, pull or lift weights up to 50 pounds.
III. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drives school bus on scheduled route transporting students to and from school.
- Transports students on educational field trips and sporting events, local and out of town.
- Maintains order among the passengers, supervises their behavior and enforces district standards of conduct on buses.
- Conducts emergency evacuation drills twice yearly.
- Administers first-aid when necessary.
- Maintains interior and exterior of bus clean and neat.
- Makes minor seat repairs and removes graffiti.
- Services bus daily, including putting in fuel, oil, power steering fluid, coolant, windshield washer solvent, and fluid level in battery.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections as specified in the Department of Transportation regulations.
- Checks bus constantly for mechanical defects and needed repairs in accordance with the district bus safety program and reports defects or needed repairs on the daily inspection report.
- Keeps record of gas and oil usage, mileage, and the number of students transported as required.
- Attends monthly safety meetings.
- Performs a 15-minute bus check prior to driving scheduled route.
- Must be able to react professionally for the safety of the students in the event of an emergency.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Special Characteristics and Requirements:
Employees of this class perform under the general supervision of the Transportation Supervisor and the Director of Operations. Lives of others depend on the safe operation of buses. Drivers must be of good moral character, reliable, safety conscious, dependable, neat and clean, able to get along with others, of sound physical condition, free of use of intoxicating or consciousness influencing substances and emotionally stable (patient, calm under stress, even tempered, and considerate).
Report to: Director of Transportation
Terms of Employment:
30 hrs per week
**Compensation will be based on 93% of regular rate of pay without High School Diploma
All applicants must complete an online application, which requires at least 3 professional references.