PAY GRADE: J
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITION OBJECTIVE: :Incumbents drive a school bus, van or other motorized vehicle in the transport of students. Duties include: conducting safety checks of equipment; monitoring student behavior; and completing incidents reports.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Ensures the safe loading and unloading of students to and from destinations, to include operation of specialized equipment for attending to students with special needs, including car seats, wheelchairs, seat belts, lifts, and/or other applicable equipment.
- Drives a school bus, van, or other motorized vehicle for the purpose of transporting students to applicable locations, including field trips and special events
- Maintains attendance records, seating charts, disciplinary documentation, and updated student information; communicates via radio dispatch to parents, students, Administrators, and/or other applicable individuals.
- Monitors daily school bus activities to ensure proper student conduct at all times, and adherence to appropriate disciplinary controls.
- Performs pre- and post bus inspection activities to ensure proper operating conditions, adherence to prescribed Department of Transportation standards, and compliance with proper safety standards.
- Performs routine cleaning and bus maintenance activities; conducts re-fueling activities, to include maintaining assigned fuel use logs; reports perceived or potential school bus defects in a time efficient manner to appropriate District personnel.
- Transports students according to established routing sheets; ensures maintenance of periodic routing updates.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience(positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma, or G.E.D.; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing Requirements(positions in this class typically require):
- Possession of a valid Arizona Driver’s License for 1 year
- Valid Arizona Commercial Driver’s License with P and S and Air Brake Endorsement before transporting students
- Ability to obtain First Aid and CPR Certifications within 30 days of employment
- Valid Arizona Department of Public Safety Level 1 fingerprint clearance card
Knowledge(position requirements at entry):
- Customer service principles
- First aid practices
- Safe driving principles and practices
Skills(position requirements at entry):
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions. Additionally, all Department of Public Safety tests (e.g., physical performance test) must be successfully completed a minimum of every two years. (Test includes lifting 30 pounds from the ground to the floor of the bus (and from the floor of the bus to the ground) and also dragging 125 pounds.)
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
*RTW = Return To Work Retiree