Burnet CISD Transportation
Operate school bus and related equipment to provide safe and orderly transportation of students and other authorized persons on assigned route and to and from other designated locations.
Clear and valid Texas commercial driver’s license with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S)
Endorsements (obtained within two (2) months)
High school diploma or GED
First Aid Certificate
TEA School Bus Certification (obtained within two (2) months)
Must be 21 years of age
Proficient map reading skills
Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical exam
Ability to complete TEA required bus driver safety certification
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to manage student behavior
Ability to communicate effectively with others
Ability to operate bus
Prior school bus driving experience preferred.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Attend and successfully complete District bus driver training program.
- Drive bus and other district vehicles safely, following all applicable laws and district administrative policies and regulations governing the transportation of students.
- Follow assigned routes and adhere to established schedules.
- Drive bus to and from extracurricular activities.
- Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road conditions, and schedule changes and make necessary adjustments to ensure student safety and reduce delays.
- Perform pre- and post-trip inspections according to specifications to ensure bus can be operated safely and notify mechanics of needed repairs. Keep assigned bus clean and maintain appropriate level of fuel.
- Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, and mechanical problems and complete required corresponding reports.
- Instruct students on safe entering, exiting, and passenger rules and regulations. Supervise students while boarding and leaving the bus and crossing the street.
- Maintain discipline and use effective behavior management control over groups of students. Report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator and communicate student’s behavior when warranted.
- Maintain positive community relations by establishing proper rapport with students and parents.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Follow all federal, state, and district emergency procedures.
- Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and reflectors.
- Maintains copy of route and emergency student rider forms on bus.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor. Report any hazardous conditions along scheduled route.
- Operate and monitor two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office and other drivers.
- Complete and maintain accurate, up-to-date, and timely records and reports including but not limited to those related to bus mileage and number of passengers transported.
- Attend all required training as directed.
- The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
Applicants for all positions are considered without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status. Additionally, the district does not discriminate against an applicant who acts to oppose such discrimination or participates in the investigation of a complaint related to a discriminating employment practice.The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources, 208E. Brier St. Burnet, TX 78611; 512-756-2124.