The Salvation Army Mission: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Job Objective: The Business Administrator position exists to enhance the ministry of The Salvation Army serving Douglas County by assuring that the business practices of the Lawrence, KS corps are conducted in an efficient and effective manner in line with Salvation Army policy and procedures and according to the laws of government entities with jurisdiction. The BA is responsible for direct supervision of all staff/volunteers and to serve as a resource to the Corps Officers. Assist the Corps Officers and program supervisors/managers in regards to personnel issues, policies, and other issues affecting the business operations of the Lawrence, KS Corps. The BA is also responsible for the properties and other resources of the Lawrence, KS Corps. This is a full-time exempt position.
The Salvation Army offers full-time employees a competitive and attractive benefits package, including: excellent medical/dental/vision coverage; prescription coverage; basic life and ADD; 403B, short-term disability; flexible spending account (FSA); 100% employer funded retirement pension and 13 days of paid leave in addition to vacation.
- Supervise all employees serving at the Lawrence, KS Corps.
- Advise and assist program coordinators as needed
- Respond to personnel questions as appropriate
- Perform Annual Performance Reviews for supervised staff and assist with other reviews as requested.
- Receive and investigate complaints from employees who are dissatisfied with TSA operations policy and recommend best response and action to the Corps Officers
- Lead monthly staff meetings
- Review hiring packets & staff change of status requests. Seek Corps Officer approval prior to submitting to DHQ Human Resource Department
- Review and recommend annual pay increases to Corps Officers for approval
- Maintain employee files
- Review & track employee benefits requests
- Advise supervisors of employee benefits
- Advise supervisors monthly BD employees
- Report and track all workman’s comp injury claims
- Assist with incident reports and claims
- Assist with ongoing workman comp medical reports to DHQ
- Keep employee records regarding claims
- Assist Employees/Managers w/new hire packets/annual insurance elections/terminations/annual reviews/90-day performance/corrective action review in conjunction with Corps Officers and DHQ.
Finance and Property
- Responsible for management of all Corps budgets
- Assist w/ grant applications as requested
- Maintain grant reports and assure compliance
- Assist with grant reviews by outside agency as required
- Coordinate with DHQ Finance to prepare monthly TSA finance reports
- Prepare invoices, ensuring proper coding and delivery to DHQ CAC on a regular basis (at least weekly)
- Prepare and deliver weekly bank deposits, sharing that information with DHQ CAC in a timely manor
- Monitor revenues and expenses as compared to budget – investigate significant variances and make recommendations to program supervisors and the corps officers if changes need to be made
- Monitor accounts payable to assure timely payment of all invoices
- Monitor cash flow – utilize cash reserves as needed
- Review invoices and checks for proper documentation and authorizations
- Work with DHQ Corps Accounting Center to respond to and adjust accounting functions according to auditors’ recommendations/findings.
- Prepare and submit Capital Campaign updates to DHQ as required and requested
- Monitor THQ reserves, Capital expenditures/reimbursements
- Responsible for review of data entry into Shelby and for month end closing activity
- Review all banking activity including but not limited to: deposits/sign checks/review & process bank exceptions/process ACH payments/monitor balance and activity.
- Responsible for accurate & timely submittal of bi-weekly time reports in PayCor to DHQ for processing.
- Work with and oversee accurate approved (employee & supervisor) departmental time sheets
- Send out Exempt Benefit Form bi-weekly & enter all benefits used
- Upon receipt of PayCor payroll report, review & enter PR ledger into Shelby
- Review employee medical/life/volunteer benefit costs against employee sign up documentation and TSA invoices. Enter into Shelby
- Maintain salary worksheets to assist in grant reporting
- Assist Directors/supervisors with salary restrictions (OT)(over approved)
- Provide salary information tor management for OT, budgets, reporting requirements
- Maintain grant payroll reports
- Assist with FY year-end accruals
- Review year-end Vacation accrual worksheet
- Review annual salary increase worksheet
- Assist with Christmas Kettles and other fund-raising activities as needed
- Perform other accounting processes as needed in the absence of the bookkeeper
- Work with external & internal auditors
- Work with Colonial representative for yearly employee insurance electives
- Work with Advisory Board and finance committee
- Coordinate building projects, contractors and equipment purchases
- Other duties as requested by Corps Officers
Education: Must have a Bachelor’s degree in a business or management or related field
Experience: and 4 years’ equivalent experience.
- Must be able to work with and supervise a wide variety of personalities.
- Must be discerning and able to make sound decisions based on a variety of information and input.
- Must have good computer skills and knowledge of computer networking; be proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Hands on knowledge of Shelby and Paycor Payroll System helpful but not required.
- Must pass The Salvation Army background check.
- Must be willing to support The Salvation Army mission
Travel: Travel limited to Douglas County, KS with occasional trips to Kansas City, Missouri
Driving: Yes; must possess a valid driver’s license from the state in which you reside. Must be approved through The Salvation Army Fleet Safety Program to drive either a Salvation Army or personal vehicle on Salvation Army business.