The Business Analyst is responsible for calculating various elements of variable compensation for field and corporate personnel. The position is responsible for auditing and evaluating report data to ensure accuracy and consistency as well as responsibility for pay period and monthly variable compensation statement distribution to the field. The Business Analyst also executes any system testing required for new initiatives, improvements, or issue resolution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES Estimated % of Time Spent
1. System Super User 60%
* Run system processes to maintain and update or calculate data for a bi-weekly payroll.
* Execute and document established Sarbanes-Oxley controls.
* Identifying any opportunities for additional controls and relay to management.
* Partner with the Information Technology department to research and understand any system issues, testing results or changes to ensure accurate system data.
* Work closely with the Strategic Reporting and Accounting teams to validate source data.
* Overtime recalculation.
* Produce timely and accurate variable compensation statements for the field.
* Provide payroll templates and maintain calculated sales contest files provided by Business Reporting to Payroll for payment.
* Calculate and document any manual adjustments for variable compensation.
* Obtain and maintain proper approvals in accordance with company policies.
* Report, expedite, and maintain documentation related to system discrepancies, risks, or manual workarounds.
2. Special Projects 20%
* Work with team to streamline existing processes and to eliminate redundant or non-value added work.
* Provide feedback and recommendations for process improvements to ensure accuracy while maintaining efficiency in the calculation of variable compensation.
* Provide feedback and recommendations for new business initiatives or changes.
* Execute system testing, which includes creating detailed system test plans, performing the tests, and documenting test results to support initiatives, improvements, or issue resolutions.
* Proactively and timely communicate testing updates or deadline concerns to manager.
* If required, train additional resources to aid with the testing process.
3. Customer and Accounting Support 10%
* Provide monthly system accrual calculations to the Accounting department.
* Produce variable compensation trend analysis and explanations.
* Provide ad hoc analysis to the Accounting department in response to profit and loss trend and fluctuation analysis related to variable compensation.
* Provide timely customer support to field and corporate personnel by responding to daily inquiries and researching questions sent to the "Commission Inquiries" inbox. 10%
4. Reporting / Reviewing / Analysis 10%
* Run any audit or source data reports to validate a complete and accurate system calculation.
* Document and sign off on any required Sarbanes-Oxley compliance controls.
* Complete commissions and session premiums checklist and submit for review and approval to ensure a complete and accurate system calculation.
* Assist with reporting for legal requests.
* Work on ad hoc reporting and analysis requests from the business regarding compensation changes and proposals.
* Provide review, analysis, and feedback regarding proposed changes to compensation plans.
The position most often reports to either the Sr. Business Analyst or the Payroll Manager, however, it could report directly to the Payroll Director. The relationships within the organization are as follows: Information Technology, Field Managers, Payroll Management, Compensation, Accounting, and Business Reporting. There are no direct reports for this position.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Strong Microsoft Excel skills including v-look up formulas and complex macros.
* Intermediate experience in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
* Skills in exercising resourcefulness in meeting and resolving problems.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to use initiative and sound independent judgment.
* Ability to speak and write effectively including preparation of clear concise records and reports.
* Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
Minimum Educational Level/Certifications
* Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent professional experience.
Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications
* 2 years of work experience with increasing professional level responsibilities.
Physical Demands/ Environmental Conditions
* Normal day to day business operations including using a key board, walking, bending and reaching.
* Travel is not a requirement for this position.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Knowledge of Microsoft Access including creation of new databases, importing data from other applications, and developing queries is a plus.
* Payroll Certifications
Work Experience and Qualification
* Previous experience in Payroll and/or Accounting.
* Payroll experience with a bi-weekly pay cycle.
* Experience working a multi-location service environment.
* Experience working with multiple system domains.
* Experience with ProBusiness.
* Experience in using reporting writing tools within the payroll system.
* Experience with Oracle Incentive Compensation.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled