What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:Work with a variety of internal business stakeholders to gather business requirements, document user processes for system enhancements or new systems, and perform user acceptance testing in conjunction with business functional areas for ultimate delivery and integration.
- Quickly acquire a thorough understanding of the division’s insurance products and the systems and processes which support them.
- Schedule and lead requirements gathering sessions with stakeholders. This will involve facilitation of timely meetings with various individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Prepare detailed business requirements which enable IT staff to expedite technical requirements resulting in faster development and deployment of solutions.
- Conduct requirements walk-through with stakeholders to ensure complete understanding/agreement and obtain sign-off.
- Document/Flowchart existing processes and new/enhanced processes to help stakeholders fully understand a project and its impact on business.
- Participate in user acceptance testing, test case planning and walk through to assist stakeholders as needed.
- Partner with IT in working through issues/defects/changes & ultimate resolution.
- Function as liaison between business stakeholders and the IT technical team.
- Collaborate with technical team to share business knowledge to assist in solution generation.
- Track project timelines and report deviations to management in a timely manner.
- Meet all defined target goals and milestone dates for assigned project(s) in order to ensure overall success.
- Work through any issues that arise during requirements gathering or testing phases with the business stakeholders in a proactive manner.
- Maintain an awareness of technology and operational trends in the marketplace for applicability to our business and recommend same to business leaders.
- Maintain a business centric results – oriented mindset at all times.
- 2 years’ experience and prior knowledge in creating business requirement documentation preferred; and seek to gain higher level knowledge and skills
- Builds knowledge of the organization, systems, processes and clients
- Solves a range of straightforward problems
- Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures
- Familiarity with project management discplines
- Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction
- College degree required.
- Ability to manage and complete multiple, concurrent tasks with multiple user interfaces.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Assertive, flexible, pro-active, team player with a strong sense of ownership.
- Ability to manage ambiguity in business needs and requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Process and Procedures oriented
- Proficiency with MS word, Excel and Visio
- Insurance experience a plus, especially helpful if CPI knowledge
Please note: Markel has a phased approach for re-entry into our buildings that is designed to balance the ongoing health, safety, and wellbeing of our employees with operational considerations and regulatory/ governmental requirements and recommendations. Remote working is still the preferred method of working for most positions at this time.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.