Manatt Health integrates legal and consulting expertise to better serve the complex needs of clients across the healthcare system. Combining legal excellence, first-hand experience in shaping public policy, sophisticated strategy insight, and deep analytic capabilities, we provide uniquely valuable professional services to the full range of health industry players. Our diverse team of more than 160 attorneys and consultants from Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP, and its consulting subsidiary, Manatt Health Strategies, LLC, is passionate about helping our clients advance their business interests, fulfill their missions, and lead healthcare into the future. For more information, visit https://www.manatt.com/Health.
As a key member of Manatt’s dynamic business development team, your primary responsibility will be to lead business development initiatives with existing and potential clients to help generate business and raise the profile of our healthcare practices, attorneys and consultants. In addition to being an exceptional business developer, you must be able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously, and collaborate closely with internal clients and team members. You should be a strong project manager, be self-motivated, have excellent oral and written communications skills and a positive attitude.
At Manatt, we need the kind of professional staff that can help us meet the high expectations of sophisticated clients. We look for team players who can make a difference from day one. We'll want you to take initiative, seize opportunities and solve problems. You'll find our culture to be diverse and community-minded. If all that works for you, we could be a great fit for each other. This role can be based in the New York or Washington, D.C. office.
Successful candidates have a bachelor's degree, JD or MBA preferred, with a background in the healthcare industry and at least seven years of experience in business development within a law firm or similar professional services environment.
- Develop, recommend and execute strategies to drive growth for assigned business units.
- Collaborate with business unit and practice leaders to develop business plans, budgets and client targeting strategies to drive business development.
- Conduct research, analyze trends and identify opportunities in key industry sectors and with target clients.
- Analyze competitors and their service offerings and identify opportunities to raise the profile of the practices and partners.
- Track business pipeline, results, wins, losses, ROI, best practices and lessons learned.
- Write winning client proposals, pitches and RFP responses, and draft compelling legal directory/ranking submissions.
- Develop project plans and budgets to ensure business development initiatives are implemented on time and within budget.
- Ensure capability statements and representative experience descriptions are captured and updated to support proposals and ranking submissions.
- Produce thought leadership reports, white papers, newsletters, client alerts and marketing collateral in coordination with the marketing team.
- Research and evaluate speaking, sponsorship and membership affiliation opportunities.
- Plan seminars, webinars, conferences, tradeshows and other firm-sponsored events in coordination with the marketing events team.
- Strategically increase the firm’s database of clients and industry decision makers and develop event and publication mailing lists.
- Manage budgets and ensure expenses comply with firm expense policies and procedures.
- Supervise, train, manage the work of, assess the performance of, motivate and mentor team members.
- Background in the healthcare industry and at least seven years of experience in business development within a law firm or similar professional services environment.
- Substantive knowledge of the healthcare industry and the ability to work well with various stakeholders within the firm.
- Strong leader and team player who can direct, coach, motivate and work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the department and firm goals.
- Forward-thinking, strategic thinker and self-starter with the ability to balance long-term strategic vision and effective day-to-day execution.
- Strong writing, editorial and proofreading skills.
- Superb project management that can be utilized both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Outstanding research and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present information in a persuasive manner.
- Superior client service skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Technologically savvy with demonstrated proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite, particularly with Excel and PowerPoint, and the ability to learn new programs.
- Proven ability to self-manage and multitask in a “lightning speed” environment with shifting priorities.
- Proven ability to supervise, train and motivate team members.
- Consistent ability to meet deadlines and the flexibility to travel and work additional hours as needed to meet department goals is essential.