Individuals within the Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst I role provide business intelligence, reporting, and data analysis needs for Customer Service and Delivery. They work closely with BI Consultants, end users, and IT teams to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound business decisions. It is essential that BI Analysts build an understanding of the CSD organization at a level of detail that enables them to identify and address critical issues. They provide data that is accurate, congruent and reliable, and ensure the information is easily available to users for direct consumption or integration with other systems. BI Analysts educate and train business partners and clients to use the data as an analytical tool, displaying the information in new forms and content for analysis and option exploration.
BI Analysts work with users to determine business requirements, priorities, define key performance indicators (KPI), and develop BI and data warehouse (DW) strategy. They conduct analyses of functional business processes and functional business requirements and participate in the development of business cases in the support of process changes. This includes working with business and development teams to design, and document dashboards, alerts, and reports. This individual is accountable for providing leadership and independent initiatives in facilitating information gathering, structured documentation and presentation of findings to all levels of management.
BI Analysts understand how data is turned into information and knowledge and how that knowledge supports and enables key business processes. They must have understanding of the business environment and an interest in going beyond the obvious, delving into the source, the definition, philosophy, and foundational roots of a data element to create information. They must work well within a team environment.
- Provides design support for the development of business intelligence solutions.
- Works on small to mid-sized and cross-functional IT and business intelligence solutions.
- Works on multiple tasks/projects as team member.
- Participates in workstream planning process including inception, technical design, development, testing and delivery of BI solutions.
- May participate in project management estimation process.
- Works with internal and external customers and IT partners to develop and analyze business intelligence needs.
- Provides input to business requirements for the design of solutions.
- Interprets business requirements and determines optimum BI solutions to meet needs.
- Identifies and provides input to new technology opportunities that will have an impact on the Enterprise wide BI systems.
- Designs Institute-wide “views” and custom reports.
- May perform analysis for a wide range of requests using data in different formats and from various platforms.
- Researches business problems and creates models that help analyze these business problems.
- Provides input to the development of information quality metrics.
- Researches tools, frameworks and mechanisms for data analytics.
- Adheres to current standards.
- Provides input to standards, policies and procedures for the form, structure, and attributes of the BI tools and systems.
- Designs and delivers end-user training and training materials.
- Trains users to transform data into action-oriented information and to use correctly.
- General knowledge of supported business functions, systems, and transactions
- Familiar with technology system processes, reporting functions, and methodologies
- Works effectively with associates from across the CGM Profit Center and with business and IT partners
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management or specialized training/certification. Or equivalent work experience.
- Typically requires a minimum of 2+ years of Business Analysis or related technical experience.
- Working experience with Data Visualization, Business Intelligence tools (BO), SQL, multiple DBMS and database development
- Experience with ETL and data transformation tool, and BI tools (Tableau, QlikView, etc)
- Moderate to high development and usage of Hadoop, Hive, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Access and Excel
- Understanding of relational database concepts and data warehousing concept are required
- Proven ability to create reports from existing databases and non-relational data sources
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
© Copyright 2019 The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, New York, NY.