The Business Operations Manager directs all business development and growth across The Compass Experiment footprint. This person works closely with the GM, product and local business leads to grow revenue with the goal of local sustainability at every Compass Experiment site.
This is a key leadership role for a business leader who is comfortable managing Compass’s remote business leads as well as building bridges across the larger McClatchy company.
This role requires a creative and adaptive business leader who is comfortable guiding a variety of revenue models at the local sites. Compass is not married to any particular approach to local financial sustainability, and the business leader for this experiment must be equally open.
As part of Compass’ central management team, this person will direct the business plans, set KPIs, and oversee products, platforms and local partnerships in each Compass market.
This role will work closely with the GM to hire and onboard local business teams and help them launch new local sites. They will work hand-in-hand with local business leads to determine the revenue strategy for their respective markets, and guide them through execution of that strategy.
This person will be heavily involved in the day-to-day operations of each local business to ensure the local team has the support and resources they need to effectively do their jobs.
This role reports to the Compass General Manager. The successful applicant can be based in McClatchy’s Washington, D.C. office, or a local McClatchy newsroom. Remote opportunity may also be available.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work closely with the GM to devise and adapt business strategy for each Compass site.
- Work closely with the GM and others to determine cities, and consider business opportunities in those cities upon launch and over time.
- Work closely with Compass’ audience development manager on revenue-generating audience initiatives.
- Hire, lead, direct, collaborate with and coach local business leads to develop deep local partnerships and manage a varied mix of revenue streams.
- Devise, plan and launch advertising and/or non-advertising revenue streams in local markets, including, but not limited to reader revenue, events and sponsored content.
- Build, articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct across the business department.
- Ensure each local site and the Compass operation as a whole is sticking to budget and operating on a financially sound basis.
- Establish working relationships across McClatchy’s advertising, product and business operations teams to ensure we’re collaborating where it makes sense for Compass’ mission.
- Develop business talent in each local market.
- Ensure audience analytics and learnings are fed into the business plans of local sites.
- Create partnership materials for local sites in conjunction with McClatchy design teams and local staff.
- Work in tandem with the GM and Central Editor to develop and evolve products and strategies that best serve our audience and diversify our revenue.
- Proactively identify and solve problems, innovate and adapt.
- Education and knowledge: Minimum of 5 years of business development experience in a publishing or community-oriented company is preferred. A proven track record of successful revenue strategy development is required.
- This role will require occasional travel to the local sites, McClatchy offices and meetings.
- Highly organized and adept at juggling multiple business plans at once.
- Mission-driven approach to growing small local businesses in varying parts of the country.
- The ability to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- The ability to lead, collaborate with and coach colleagues of varying experience levels.
- An ability to lead and direct audience growth strategies.
- An interest in exploring many types of revenue options and exploring new approaches that may not have been used in the publishing industry before.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure.
- Highly developed communication skills.
Benefits and Application:
All Compass team members will be full-time employees of McClatchy. Employee benefits include 401K and competitive medical, dental and life insurance offerings.
In your cover letter, please tell us how your professional experience reflects the attributes we’re looking for, and why you’re uniquely suited for this opportunity.