University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine
Business Services Senior Professional
Position #737249 – Requisition 17180
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Department of Emergency Medicine has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Business Services Senior Professional position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
The University of Colorado (CU) | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Business Services Senior Professional. This full-time, University Staff position is responsible for providing high-level, complex operational support and project management for the Vice Chair for Research and the Center for COMBAT Research in the Department of Emergency Medicine. This includes: managing multiple research programs; creating research policies and infrastructure; managing recruitment of research faculty and staff; managing the EM-STIM program; working with faculty on grant submissions; coordinating special projects, complex meetings, site visits of senior academic, industry, federal executives, and external visits; leading efforts to communicate research and the Center for COMBAT Research efforts (website development, social media, etc.); and managing schedules and supporting two executive leadership positions.
Emergency Medicine conducts high-impact research of public health importance, including injury prevention and trauma, critical care, toxicology, personalized medicine, opioid misuse, firearm safety, and healthcare policy. In addition, the Center for COMBAT Research focuses on high-impact, innovative clinical and basic research funded by the Department of Defense, executed by senior-level researchers at the CU Anschutz Campus, with a focus on improving the lives of U.S. Service Members and the patients of CU, UCHealth, and Colorado.
- Provides direct operational support to the Vice Chair for Research and Director of the Center for COMBAT Research in the Department of Emergency Medicine.
- Manages, coordinates, and executes special projects for the Vice Chair for Research and Director of the Center for COMBAT Research in the Department of Emergency Medicine; responsible for managing the timeline, budget and deliverables associated with special projects.
- Manages the operational needs of the Department’s research programs.
- Coordinates the Center for COMBAT Research and Departmental meetings for research and administrative priorities.
- Manages and coordinates the Scientist Training and Intensive Mentorship (STIM) program, emergency medicine research implementation meeting, emergency medicine research faculty meeting, the Center for COMBAT Research executive committee meeting, and high-level executive external faculty, senior leaders, and military visitors.
- Manages Department of Emergency Medicine pilot & John Marx grant process from initiation to completion.
- Manages internal and external communication/dissemination of activities for research and the Center for COMBAT Research including website development and update, awareness/marketing and branding on CU Anschutz campus, social media postings, and press releases.
- Records, transcribes, and distributes meeting minutes in a timely manner.
- Arranges corporate travel and meetings by developing itineraries and agendas, booking transportation, arranging lodging, coordinating meeting accommodations, and assisting with reimbursements.
- Responds to both internal & external confidential inquiries related to the Department of Emergency Medicine.
- Develops PowerPoint presentations, written executive summaries, administrative-related research documents; adds additional content/detail based on high-level descriptions.
- Serves as the administrative lead for the Center for COMBAT Research and the Department of Emergency Medicine’s research activities.
- Organizes and coordinates monthly Departmental meetings and EM-STIM meetings (multidepartmental) for VC for Research.
- Develops monthly reports and analyzes Departmental research productivity, infrastructure development, meeting attendance, EM-STIM (multidepartmental meeting) participation, and Department Research meetings
- Leads and oversees research related and COMBAT Center related Grand Rounds Visiting professors, seminars, speaker visits, and Executive Committee meetings throughout the academic year
- Manages database and monthly reports for CU Anschutz COMBAT Center metrics of performance including publications, research funding, new contracts, meetings, and site visits on campus
- Manages COMBAT Center funding and publishing metrics for clinical and basic science PI's supported by the COMBAT Center.
- Oversees site visit and seminar program of the COMBAT Center.
- Oversee administration of the Emergency Medicine Research Assistant Program for Students (EM-RAPS).
- Implement and manage research productivity metrics for faculty and Department.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASENOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- Bachelor’s degree in business, research, communications, accounting, finance, social sciences, marketing or other closely related field.
- Two (2) years of executive or high-level administrative experience in an academic, health care, and/or business related environment.
- One (1) program and/or project management experience.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Five (5) years of executive or high-level administrative experience in an academic, health care, and/or business related environment.
- Grants and/or contracts experience.
- Professional and progressively responsible project management experience.
- Experience making travel arrangements and travel reimbursements.
- Experience working in an academic medical environment.
- Present and maintain a professional, polished, and positive demeanor/disposition while working with internal and external stakeholders in a dynamic, high-paced environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues in a professional manner.
- Ability to prioritize and get back on task after interruptions.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Self-starter with a proven ability to organize and follow through on multiple complex tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to work with a diverse group and competing interests.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to various situations.
- Excellent interpersonal (verbal and written) communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with diversified internal and external stakeholders and communicate effectively via phone, email, and in person.
- Excellent time management and organization skills; ability to take direction and use independent judgment to meet multiple deadlines.
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to plan, develop and coordinate multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions/judgments on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Knowledge of basic office equipment (phone, fax, copier, projector, digital camera).
- Ability to manage a high volume of the information coming in and going out of the administrative office.
- Ability to monitor ongoing inquiries and ensure they have been addresses in a timely and effective manner.
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.