The Butcher Shop Associate works in the Meat Department, preparing, packaging, pricing, and merchandising fresh beef, chicken, pork, lamb, turkey and other butcher shop items. They educate our customers about our extensive line of meat products, and often prepare samples as a way to delight patrons and increase sales. They understand what quality product looks, smells, feels and tastes like. They work with equipment such as knives, tenderizers, grinders, general meat machinery, scales, compactors, and garbage disposals, and are expected to adhere to Detwiler’s high standards of cleanliness and safety.
- Observe all store rules and Company Policies.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe Company dress code.
- Observe shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by Butcher Shop Manager. Must be able to adapt to ever-changing high volume demands of retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations including full compliance with all applicable laws pertaining to safety, health, and packaging requirements.
- Must wear approved hat or hair net.
- Assist in receiving and unloading of merchandise. Check and verify incoming shipments to ensure that items listed on vendor invoices are all delivered. Check products for quality, count, and condition.
- Keep all meat products or merchandise rotated in accordance with Company Policy and product code dates and always make use of the oldest products first (first in, first out).
- Store products at correct temperatures.
- Control freshness by coding all product and pulling out-of-code merchandise daily.
- Handle damaged and spoiled products according to Company Policy and assist in controlling the level of waste.
- Take stock to storage or freezer areas.
- Answer phones and take special orders.
- Reduce out-of-code merchandise daily for quick sale to maintain department’s image for the highest quality and freshness.
- Wrap, package, and price all product accurately and legibly in accordance with established Department Procedures and Guidelines.
- Keep manager or other designated personnel aware of low inventory conditions or excessive spoilage problems.
- Comply fully with all Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Perform all counter duties according to Company Policies and Procedures.
- Delight customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service or assistance.
- Educate customers and answer questions pertaining to product selection, food preparation, cooking instructions, and general meat knowledge.
- Cut, trim, bone, tie and grind meat products for customers as requested.
- Cross sell products to increase department sales.
- Perform other duties and assignments as directed.
- Must be 18+ years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Butcher shop, grocery, or restaurant experience is preferred.
- Must have strong communication skills for dealing with customers.
- Must have basic math skills for weighing and pricing products.
- Must have dexterity in hands to cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meat.
- Must be able to lift up to fifty (50) pounds often.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands - Standing, walking, reaching, bending, twisting, ability to carry/lift 50lbs, and push/pull 200lbs.
- Repetitive Action - Process merchandise, prepare and wrap products, cut, trim, bone, tie and grind meat.
- Working Conditions - Inside, Cold, Hot
- Ability to enter the freezer, thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, potentially high-stress environment.
- Machines, Tools, Equipment – Knives, tenderizers, grinders, general meat machinery, scales, compactors, and garbage disposals.
- Non-slip shoes required.