Charlie’s Produce - Who We Are
Charlie's Produce is a privately owned wholesale produce company. We are the largest privately owned produce wholesaler on the West Coast, with distribution centers in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Anchorage, Boise, and Los Angeles. The secret to our 40 years of success in this industry is PEOPLE! We strive to hire the best and we reward them with a working environment that fosters loyalty, stability, innovation, and growth.
Charlie's provides a healthy employee stock ownership program, competitive Medical/Dental/Vision and Life Insurance plans. And our newest benefit offers Pre-Paid Fully Funded College Tuition to our employees and the dependent children of our employees after 1 year!
Monday - Friday (Rotaing Saturday 1/2 day)
The primary purpose of this position is to secure the right product, at the right price, from the right source, at the right time to achieve the sales and financial goals of assigned categories and enable the Company to profitability and competitively meet customer needs. The ideal candidate is a detail oriented team player who has experience buying fresh produce. In this key role, you will use the best practices to manage all buying activities from forecasting and inventory management to vendor management and PO reconciliation. Must be highly flexible to meet the needs of the business and have an ability to work in a fast paced, closely configured work environment.
Essential Responsibilities Include, but Not Limited To
- Continually identify and determine optimum sources of supply
- Manage service levels and inventory of assigned categories
- Make purchase decisions and manage process for order fulfillment
- Be responsible for procuring designated quality and quantity
- Maintain Minimize shrinkage/spoilage of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Manage marketing/promotional funds, rebates, slotting fees and payment terms.
- Manage USDA inspection process when necessary
- Negotiate revised billing resulting from USDA inspection reports when applicable
- Ensure that product recalls are completed
- Support established logistical procedures to facilitate product arrival
- Communicate effectively to all department supervisors
- Seek opportunity/spot buys
- Monitor and report items/categories/business trends within assigned categories
- Maintain awareness of market trends, technology and food safety
- Maintain awareness of Company’s marketing strategies and competitive activity
- Participate in plant/QA tours
- Some travel required: visiting growers & attending produce conventions.
Charlie’s Produce Total Compensation Package includes
- Competitive starting pay
- Medical/Dental/Vision after 60-days
- Healthy PTO includes Holiday/Sick/Vacation starting from date of hire
- Supplemental retirement plan through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Robust employee assistance program (EAP)
- 50% subsidez ORCA Passes
- Prepaid College Tuition after 1-year
- 401(k) available
You enjoy collaborating. Learning from or teaching others so we can all become a more efficient operation. People love working with you because you help them up their game. A problem solver. You have a passion for solving complex problems, either at work or in your own spare time on your own projects. You are an excellent communicator. You are able to present your ideas in a non-technical manner and deliver on your projects. You show a strong interest in sourcing the best deal for the company and our customers. You are able to work with the purchasing team, and sales team to provide the solutions they need.
- Minimum Five (5) years produce buying experience
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong Math & Writing skills required to quickly multiply & add cases/pallets & calculate product cost, market, & margin
- Multiple task management
- Be able to set priorities, meet deadlines, and able to accomplish team objectives
- Candidate should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with computer competency, including Excel, Word, & Outlook
- Strong commodities knowledge, including vegetable, fruit, herbs, and specialty produce lines
- Physical requirements: Walking thru the warehouse to check product inventory & quality
- Ability to observe and follow proper safety procedures, and a willingness to report potentially unsafe conditions
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and if necessary the Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.Charlie's Produce is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All new hires must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test.