Charlie’s Produce - Who We Are
Charlie's Produce is a privately owned wholesale produce company. We are the largest privately owned produce wholesaler on the West Coast, with distribution centers in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Anchorage, Boise, and Los Angeles. The secret to our 40 years of success in this industry is PEOPLE! We strive to hire the best and we reward them with a working environment that fosters loyalty, stability, innovation, and growth.
Charlie's provides a healthy employee stock ownership program, competitive Medical/Dental/Vision and Life Insurance plans. And our newest benefit offers Pre-Paid Fully Funded College Tuition to our employees and the dependent children of our employees after 1 year!
Responsible for the procurement of produce in the Spokane division. This includes product order accuracy, stock levels, and management of product line. Coordinating procurement & inventory activities with other buyers under the direction of the Purchasing Manager to ensure a well-coordinated product line program offered to customers. Must be highly flexible to service needs and have an ability to work in a fast pace, closely configured work environment.
Essential Responsibilities Include, but Not Limited To
- Continually identify and determine optimum sources of supply
- Manage service levels and inventory of assigned categories
- Make purchase decisions and manage process for order fulfillment
- Be responsible for procuring designated quality and quantity
- Maintain Minimize shrinkage/spoilage of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Manage marketing/promotional funds, rebates, slotting fees and payment terms
- Manage USDA inspection process when necessary
- Negotiate revised billing resulting from USDA inspection reports when applicable
- Ensure that product recalls are completed
- Support established logistical procedures to facilitate product arrival
Charlie’s Produce Total Compensation Package includes
- Competitive starting pay
- 90 day performance-based raise
- Yearly review with possibility of increase based on performance and tenure
- We recognize and reward hard work and commitment. Supplemental retirement plan through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Robust employee assistance program (EAP)
- Vacation pay, paid holidays, pre-tax commuter benefits, and free onsite parking
- Employer-covered College Program
- Coverage under State Sick Leave
- 401(k) available
- Health and wellness benefits including medical, dental, and vision
You enjoy collaborating. Learning from or teaching others so we can all become a more efficient operation. People love working with you because you help them up their game. A problem solver. You have a passion for solving complex problems, either at work or in your own spare time on your own projects. You are an excellent communicator. You are able to present your ideas in a non-technical manner and deliver on your projects. You show a strong interest in sourcing the best deal for the company and our customers. You are able to work with the purchasing team, and sales team to provide the solutions they need.
- Minimum Five (5) years produce buying experience
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong Math & Writing skills required to quickly multiply & add cases/pallets & calculate product cost, market, & margin
- Multiple task management
- Be able to set priorities, meet deadlines, and able to accomplish team objectives
- Candidate should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with computer competency, including Excel, Word, & Outlook
- Strong commodities knowledge, including vegetable, fruit, herbs, and specialty produce lines
- Physical requirements: Walking thru the warehouse to check product inventory & quality
- Ability to observe and follow proper safety procedures, and a willingness to report potentially unsafe conditions
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and if necessary the Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Charlie's Produce is an Equal Opportunity Employer