Job Summary: The General Manager (GM) is responsible for management of the entire store operation. The GM will lead the management team to ensure execution of organizational objectives, initiatives, and achievement of store and profit goals. Maximize store profitability through managing all controllable expenses, optimizing all revenue streams, and leading and developing a high performing team. Manages the fuel offer, where applicable. The GM is responsible for customer and associate satisfaction, brand standards, and profitability. The GM will select, develop and effectively lead a highly engaged team.
- Ensure a positive shopping experience for all customers. Respond to customer complaints or inquiries. Solicit customer feedback, input, and information from various sources. Review information and create a plan to consistently meet the expectations of all customers.
- Responsible for staffing the store appropriately to cover the customer and business demands of a 24/7 business. Proactively identify hiring needs across the store. Share responsibilities for interviewing candidates by following a standard procedure. Consult with store management team in order to make final hiring decisions.
- Allocate resources, prioritize and delegate work, and effectively manage time through efficient scheduling and usage of labor hours.
- Allocate appropriate and adequate resources necessary for effective training execution as designed. Validate that all associates are trained to perform their jobs safely, effectively and to provide great customer service. Conduct all aspects of management training. Oversee and monitor the effective training of all associates to ensure proficiency of skills.
- Create and sustain an inclusive store atmosphere by taking intentional steps to understand the diversity of the store team and encourage mutual understanding and respect while promoting a productive, engaged team environment. Value store associates through celebration and recognition.
- Support the development of associates and store management team through appropriate talent management processes (e.g., performance management, development plans, career conversations, development opportunities). Provide overall direction and support for team and monitor and assess individual work in accordance with high standards of excellence. Provide feedback, coaching, support opportunities for development, complete performance appraisals, take corrective action when appropriate, and participate in hiring decisions.
- Ensure conditions across the store meet or exceed standards for safety, service, and overall operational efficiency by analyzing opportunities and ensuring execution of established policies, procedures, practices and programs. Adhere to work designs and implement improvement actions across the store. Manage all safety programs and ensure proper execution and compliance. Report and document all customer and associate incidences in the appropriate time frame. Ensure compliance to all federal and local laws and to all company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for leading change initiatives, championing programs and educating associates on the reason and need for change. Ensure programs are executed according to design, integrated and sustained.
- Accountable to meet or exceed key performance metric targets/projections; deliver budgeted merchandise gross profit by executing the merchandise plan. Maintain awareness of store-level and organizational financial performance trends to help achieve store profitability. Manage financial plans for the store by reviewing and interpreting financial reports and take appropriate action as required to achieve goals. Ensure execution of all plans.
- Analyze income statement and utilize reports to ensure store’s profitability. Manage inventory to maximize sales, control costs and reduce waste; proactively recognize trends across the store. Manage cash management procedures.
- Analyze results and trends from audits (internal and external) and take the appropriate action to resolve/address issues.
- Build relationships with community partners to connect the store with its community. Use working knowledge of organization’s support structure to develop support network and make business connections. Proactively leverage tools, resources and information throughout the organization.
- Must be able to do daily cash reports, lottery, bank deposits and general retail store paperwork in an accurate and timely manner
- Must be able to handle and process weekly merchandise order and receipts
- Must be able to handle merchandise price changes to effectively manage gross profit margins
- Must be able to effectively manage store expenses and maintenance
- Must be able to build proper staffing schedules within budgeted hours
- Must be able to effectively communicate issues and problems by email and phone
- Must be able to hire, train and direct staff
- Must be capable of building staff moral and team building to provide excellent customer service and resolve customer complaint.
- Submit weekly payroll info (time cards, payroll changes, new hires and terminations)
- Enforce all corporate, local and state policies and procedures.
- Ability to work well individually as well as in a team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to apply a systems thinking approach to complex issues
- Ability to analyze trends
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven self-starter with demonstrated ability to make decisions
- Excellent leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to create action plans and implement change
- Deep understanding of store finances and awareness of impact to business
- Ability to learn and utilize the store’s technology
- Accountable to ensure the execution of continuous training programs for all associates
- Demonstrated ability to monitor local competition and take action accordingly
- Ensure consistent application of job standards for all associates
- Must be able to perform the following physical behaviors repetitively throughout a shift: standing, walking, handling, reaching horizontally and grasping firmly
- Must be able to perform the following physical behaviors frequently throughout a shift: reaching above the shoulder, reaching below the waist, pushing buttons, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, kneeling and pushing
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 35 lbs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field preferred
- Experience selecting, training, performance management of staff, sales building, labor allocation & scheduling, managing expenses
- Experience coaching and developing team members through proper leadership skills
- Availability to work all shifts, weekends, and holidays, based on business needs
- Experience effectively implementing change and demonstrated results in execution
- Leadership experience in a fast-paced retail, food service, or fuel environment preferred
- Proven and consistently demonstrated skills in the following:
- Exceptional Customer Service
- Relationship Building
- Effective Communication
- Ability to relocate as needed preferred
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These statements are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the personnel so classified.